PDA

View Full Version : Tripod & Heads???

doug herrick
01-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm at a point in my photography/birding hobby where it's time to get serious about acquiring a good quality tripod system. The camera and lens that I use are a Canon XT (hoping to upgrade in the future) I use Canon 100-400 IS "L" lens and Canon 24-105 IS "L". I need a versatile system that can pan, for use in shooting birds in flight, but also be useful for doing macro photography,butterflies and landscapes. After doing a great deal of searching and researching on the web I've come to some conclusions and assumptions that I'd like to get some educated opinions on.

First the legs: It's seems pretty widely accepted that the Gitzo Carbon Fiber 6X Tripod is the top of the line, only they come in a gazillion models. I've spoken with Really Right Stuff (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/home.html) customer service and they recommend, that with what I have, a GT2530 would be fine. That model comes in the Mountaineer, Rapid Column, Supports 26 lbs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475926-REG/Gitzo_GT2530_GT_2530_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html)($ 535) and Explorer, Rapid Column, Supports 26 lbs ($540) versions and I don't know which to choose.

Heads: Again, a lot of options. It seems to be a toss up between the RRS BH-55 LR, w/Quick Release Clamp (Requires Plate) ($455) and the Arca-Swis Monoball Z1 dp (Double Pan) w/Flip-Lock Quick Release (Requires Plate) ($472).

Many photographers use an attachment to their Ballheads called a Sidekick ($250). It sounds like a "must have" for birds in flight. I called them and explained my situation and they suggested an economical solution to the combination of Sidekick and Head, the WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II ($595.00).

All this info makes my head spin. I want to make this leap but want to do it right the first time. If any of you more experienced photographers would like to share their opinions I'm sure that I'm not alone in this quandary.

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-09-2008, 06:28 AM
I would exactly go for the same gears you listed here. However I would too much care of using tripod with 100-400 if shooting BIF. I think that could be easily managed by hand, maybe even better in hand. For macro the AS ball head should be fine. So no other recommendation than those listed.

Szimi

Judy Becker
01-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I have the 30D with the 100-400 and use a Manfrotto 680B monopod while shooting BIF with the Manfrotto ballhead 486RC2. It is also easy on your arms and shoulders but easy to walk around with while on a trail or boardwalk. You can easily drop the pod to handhold if necessary. The only problem I find with this set up is the ball head doesn't hold really tight sometime so if I was doing this again for this setup I would look at the next heaviest rated ballhead. In my case I was looking for something alot less expensive then what your talking about and this setup gets the job done for about $200.

Martin Dyer
01-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Have a look at the latest Benro tripods. Carbon fibre versions out of China.

Superb quality, 8 layer CF tubing and quite a bit cheaper than some other very similar versions.

I believe B&H stock them for all you US people :)

Martin

PS they do some fantastic ball heads as well

Larry Daniel
01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Should you want to investigate a tripod that is the ultimate IMHO check out the Sachtler Speedlock CF tripods.

Alfred Forns
01-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Doug you did not mention what lens you intend to use in the future If a 500 will be in your future will recommend the Gitzo 3530LSV

For a head check out the Mongoose 3.5 only one pound and the flash attachment is Sleek !!!

Both are available at the store Might want to research Arties bulletins on the Mongoose Lots of info !!!!!

Gene C. Callison
01-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I had the opportunity to look at the largest Induro, AKA Benro tripod just yesterday for the first time at a Calumet store. I was pretty impressed at the appearance and decided to set it up for a closer look. The first thing I encountered after opening one of the legs was that one of the joints wouldn't tighten. It turned out that the rubber grip was slipping on the nut. It acted like the nut was stripped, I had to squeeze the rubber to cinch it up. After setting it up, the next thing I did was press on the side of one of the legs to check for stiffness. With light pressure I was able to deflect the leg approximately one inch, it was clearly about 1/2 as stiff as my 2530. This was a 3 series mind you, it felt about 1 lb. heavier than my 3540LS. The price on it was $553.95. It wasn't a Gitzo in any sense of the word, personally I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. At the asking price it's somewhat of a joke, even at the lower asking price of a Benro, the performance just wouldn't be there IMO. The only thing it did have going for it was it was nice and tall. There was a Benro complaint on POTN where the user claims that his 1D and 500 went crashing to the ground because the platform on the column came unglued. It's not for me, just my opinion FWIW.

Gene

Maxis Gamez
01-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Feisol make some excellent Carbon Tripods for like $350.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Should you want to investigate a tripod that is the ultimate IMHO check out the Sachtler Speedlock CF tripods.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Found one on Ebay for 2350 Pounds or
5,247.67 AUD

O.M.G.

Larry Daniel
01-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Found one on Ebay for 2350 Pounds or
5,247.67 AUD

O.M.G.

Check out Dutch Hill (http://www.dutchhill.com/) tripods. They even have an Australian dealer. The make photography tripods. I know a pro that uses one, he has been well satisfied.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
01-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Check out Dutch Hill (http://www.dutchhill.com/)tripods. They even have an Australian dealer. The make photography tripods. I know a pro that uses one, he has been well satisfied

Thanks Larry I will check them out.