PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

Walker Noe
07-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Another from the other night with three juvie Great Horned Owls. I think the bird may be slightly soft, I was having a really hard time holding the flashlight and focusing correctly on the owl. I was on a really steep slope of a wash looking up trying not to slip and fall. But I still like this image.

Postprocessing:

Usual sliders, NR to moon, sharpening to bird, cloned out the tip of a saguaro on the right hand side.

Tech:
Nikon D750
Nikkor 300mm AF-S f4D
Nikon 1.4x TCE II
Nikon SB-910 (TTL -1.0 EV)
handheld
1/200 SS
f/8
ISO 500

Alex Becker
07-02-2018, 06:57 PM
This is pretty sweet Walker. I like the moon off center of the owl and the cactus has such character. And those eyes. On my laptop sharpness looks ok. You've been posting some really cool owl images -- do you just walk around at night until you find them? Just really curious about the process behind this type of photography. TFS.

Walker Noe
07-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks Alex - For the past couple of years I have been really studying owls, their behavior, habits, and how to find them. I have productive locations for different species that have been fruitful for me, so I just visit those spots over and over. I used to strike out quite a lot, but now I will find owls on virtually every trip out in the field. This particular night I had 4 species, some days I will have up to 9 species.

But yes, I basically wander around in the field until I hear the owl. Once I hear it it's basically in the bag. I used to use playback but as I learn more I tend to be able to just listen and be patient, and find them that way.

Isaac Grant
07-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Excellent Walker. This is what wildlife photography is all about for me. Making a beautiful photo. When you do it of a spectacular species of owl it is even better. This is crazy off the charts good and quite memorable. Congrats. Sharpness looks very good on my 5k imac.

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Very Nicely Done. I do not think that the bird is soft.

Thanks for sharing.

Glenn Pure
07-03-2018, 02:07 AM
Well this is spectacular, Walker. The bird against the moon is a masterstroke. Very well seen and executed. I can't see any softness but you have the RAW and will know for sure. Brilliant stuff!

William Dickson
07-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Wow. Love it. Super Bird, super perch and super BG. I may crop some from the bottom. Well done Walker.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
07-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Sharpness looks great from my end as well. Great perch, and of course the moon is a superb bonus. Perhaps a bit off the sides for a "truer" vertical is worth a shot. Thanks for your additional details as well.

John Mack
07-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Very nice. Moon is great. Love that perch as well.

Bill Dix
07-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Wonderful shot. Looks sharp to me. Moon and direct stare are great. Colors on the perch add a bunch. Your ability to find and photograph these owls becomes more impressive with each new post. Holding your balance on a steep slope, getting the flashlight in the right spot and hand-holding the camera at 1/200s is a real feat.

arash_hazeghi
07-11-2018, 12:27 AM
I missed this post!

This is a winner Walker, it has all the elements of being a contest shot. I could see a touch of softness in the head if I look hard but nothing that would hold it back, you did great!

congrats