PDA

View Full Version : Insect

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-27-2018, 10:59 PM
I made this image at my home, Traverse Mountains, UT

I went in search of Flowers but found this one. Not sure if this is alive or dead. I did not want find out by disturbing it.

Nikon D500, Sigma 150 mm Macro lens
ISO 800, f/16, 30 sec
Matrix Metering, Manual Mode
Camera On Tripod

Post Processing:- Raw processing using C1P, Nik 30-30 Filter, NR using Neat Image, Sharpening using Affinity Photo

Hope you like it.

Do let me know if you know what the insect is ...

Thanks
Krishna

John Mack
06-28-2018, 04:34 PM
The composition would be better with the bug on the right. I am not sure what type of insect this is. The background is great. I would reduce the exposure a little.

Jonathan Ashton
07-02-2018, 06:23 AM
Krishna, I agree the image looks a little thin, I would try reducing the exposure a little to get more depth of tone. As a general rule it is a good idea to have the head pointing into space as opposed to the tail.
(I have you got your crop tool set to ROT or similar compositional aid?(

Steve Maxson
07-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Hi Krishna. The insect is a type of Solitary Wasp (Family Sphecidae) (there are many different species in this Family). If this was shot on a cool early morning the wasp may have been still sleeping - they will often clamp their mandibles onto a stem in the evening and stay locked in that position overnight. If this was shot during the heat of the day, chances are that it was dead. You are very unlikely to be stung by one of these - unless you try to pick it up in your hands. I would agree with John and Jon about the composition. Otherwise, this is a very nice image.