PDA

View Full Version : red-necked phalarope

annmpacheco
06-25-2018, 07:28 PM
Looking through my trips to Iceland and missing it this summer. I am not sure if this is a female or a male... any thoughts? The females while i was researching look more colorful and the males look more washed out, so i think this is a transgender..., it'll all be in my new bird ID book soon! This is nearly full frame. I had nestled myself along a tundra pool one afternoon and within a few minutes they were swimming over to me, happily looking for insects. Some posterization but none on my jpeg before posting.
DPP, levels, removed bluish cast on the whites in selective color, decreased blues, added a bit yellow. sharpened, NR...

1Dx
840mm
ISO 1000
1/1600

Debapratim Saha
06-25-2018, 10:22 PM
Nice subtle light, detailed and colourful ruffled feathers, a beautiful image.

Daniel Cadieux
06-26-2018, 11:13 AM
It's a beautiful bird regardless. I kinda wish it was not so big on the frame - were you blocking out obstructions outside the frame? Good details and colours.

annmpacheco
06-26-2018, 11:32 AM
It's a beautiful bird regardless. I kinda wish it was not so big on the frame - were you blocking out obstructions outside the frame? Good details and colours.
Hi Dan, no obstructions, this guy came upon me rather quickly and i had too much lens bout 90% FF

Daniel Cadieux
06-26-2018, 11:39 AM
Don;t you love it when they do that! :-)

Isaac Grant
06-26-2018, 12:18 PM
The color palette is really pretty here Ann. Nice pose as well. I would pull out that 10% to give the bird a bit more room to breath.

Bill Dix
06-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Great range of tones on the bird, lovely BG color, nice pose. I had the same thought about the size in the frame. Sometimes you just can't do anything about it.

Glenn Pure
06-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Very nicely done, Ann. Sumptuous detail across the bird from the dark plumage to the highlights (although I wonder if just a whisker more could be extracted from the brightest highlights). Nice dark background and foreground that creates good 'pop' for the bird. Plenty to like here.

Stu Bowie
06-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Hi Ann, love your lw perspective here, and you have brought out the plumage so well with regards to sharpness and colours. Well captured, even with too much lens. :w3