PDA

View Full Version : Black-throated Green Warbler.

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Photographed last month during a somber and wet day at the cottage. The teleconverter is normally glued to the lens, but here I removed it for an extra stop of much needed light.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/4, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, just about FF, usual eye work, toned down the branch tip coming in at left edge - contemplated fully removing it, or blurring it. Audio used.

Colin Driscoll
06-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Good job in that light. If it were mine I would have removed that branch on the left.

kevin Hice
06-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Nice Job Daniel . Shooting in low light and getting it sharp can be hard. I even see your silhouette in the eye. As for the branch maybe just shorten the new growth some or eliminate new growth completely . One of things that you just play with personal preference.

annmpacheco
06-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Lovely Dan, i like the l;ayered oof evergreens in the BG, and yes i would also eliminate the left spruce and the add canvas to the right... never really noticed the splotch of faint yellow on the breast before, this is a sweet one!

Noel Heustis
06-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Daniel - I love the detail and color on the bird, and the green bg makes it stand out beautifully. The branch to the left doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't think that I could remove it (maybe I'll try just as an exercise to learn it better). I think it looks great as presented, but now I want to see 2 other versions with the branch blurred and one with it removed.

Bill Dix
06-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Great look at him in a typical spruce forest setting. I could imagine a version without the sprig on the left, but it isn't much of a distraction for me. (I've sometimes had problems trying to clone/paint out that sort of thing with a dark green BG, leading to some posterization, so leaving it in seems a reasonable option.)

gail bisson
06-25-2018, 05:49 AM
Very nice Daniel.
I like the greens in the BG and am OK with the branch on the left but could see a version with the 2 little sprigs eliminated.
Like Ann, I never knew rthey had a little patch of yellow on breast.
Good IQ considering challenging light and slow SS,
Gail