PDA

View Full Version : Boat-tailed Grackle (m) (Quiscalus major)

Joseph Przybyla
06-22-2018, 02:56 PM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Interesting fact, the Boat-tailed Grackles in Florida and the Gulf Coast have brown eyes, on the rest of the Atlantic Coast the eyes are yellow. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 2200 Auto2WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
Cropped for composition and presentation

Walker Noe
06-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Good detail and exposure on the blacks, I might like more room on the top than this crop offers. Nice image.

John Mack
06-23-2018, 06:30 AM
You were close to this guy. Like the composition and the detail on the bird.

annmpacheco
06-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the eye fact! exposure is wonderful to capture all the colors on the grackle, they are a beautiful bird.

Noel Heustis
06-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Hey Joe - I love those grackles too. I love the detail and color on the bird as well. I think the background could use a little warmth and I thought the beautiful eye might be brought out a bit. I hope you don't mind but I took a crack at it myself. I brightened the iris and darkened the pupil just a bit (maybe too much); and I put the subject on its own layer and used Viveza to decrease the warmth by 10% and decrease the brightness by 10% giving the bg a bit more warm blue color. As this was a quick try, I didn't make a detailed selection of the breast feathers but I think it gets the idea across.

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2018, 06:09 PM
I love the blue and purple sheen grackles have - our Common Grackles have that as well. Neat little fact about the eye, and speaking of which, both versions could have the pupil darker IMO. Nice close up overall. Just a bit more room above would be good.

Joseph Przybyla
06-24-2018, 07:47 AM
Hey Joe - I love those grackles too. I love the detail and color on the bird as well. I think the background could use a little warmth and I thought the beautiful eye might be brought out a bit. I hope you don't mind but I took a crack at it myself. I brightened the iris and darkened the pupil just a bit (maybe too much); and I put the subject on its own layer and used Viveza to decrease the warmth by 10% and decrease the brightness by 10% giving the bg a bit more warm blue color. As this was a quick try, I didn't make a detailed selection of the breast feathers but I think it gets the idea across.

Hi Noel, thank you for viewing and commenting. You edit is fine, nice to shown different ideas and ways that all can learn from.

Joseph Przybyla
06-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.