PDA

View Full Version : Eye of a Leopard Frog

D. Robert Franz
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
From TX. I just kept gettting closer and then by putting a teleconverter on I finally just got the eye...

Canon 40D, EF180mm F3.5L, 2X, 580 EX flash, ISO 400, 1/160 @ F22

Tim Vidrine
06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Very impressive. These frogs are very hard to approach, at least in my neck of the woods.

Steve Foss
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Sweet shot and sweet stalking skills, Robert. Nice one. For me, cloning out the reflection of the flash firing would complete the picture, if you'll pardon the pun. With a solid field of black, I'd get the impression I could simply fall right into that black hole of a pupil.

D. Robert Franz
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Sweet shot and sweet stalking skills, Robert. Nice one. For me, cloning out the reflection of the flash firing would complete the picture, if you'll pardon the pun. With a solid field of black, I'd get the impression I could simply fall right into that black hole of a pupil.

Thought about cloning out the flash highlight but we always strive for a highlight in our wildlife image so I'm not sure.. Maybe just change the shape of the hightlight???

Steve Foss
06-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Robert, this is just my own view, as always. But one of the things that makes the image so striking is the deep black pupil surrounded by all that warm yellow and yellow-green. For me a solid black pupil would turn an excellent image into a mesmerizing one.

Steve Maxson
06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
A stunning image, Robert, but IMO the rectangular catchlight really detracts from it. - now, if it was changed to a round shape, all would be well. :) I can also see Steve's point about removing it altogether - though I think you might also need to remove most or all of the specular highlights in the duckweed to make it work that way.

Robert O'Toole
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Very cool image and the duckweed BG looks great. I would either round off the highlights corners are maybe change the shape to a circular HL.

Robert

John Cooper
06-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Loads of impact here Robert with exceptional detail!!
I agree with altering the shape of the catchlight for a more natural appearance.

Julie Kenward
06-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I think if you reshaped the light in his eye and then blurred it just a tad it might just do it. What a fabulous close-up, though! Dang!

Mike Moats
06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey Robert, way cool image and if it were mine I'd lose the catch light and leave the eye all black.

Roman Kurywczak
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Robert,
Another vote for round or lose it! Excellent otherwise!