PDA

View Full Version : Giant Kingfisher

John Deakin
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I took this image recently in the Kruger National Park. Slight crop as the perch was a bridge railing. Taken with D3, 200-400 + 1.4x @ 550mm, f7.1, AP, 1/500, ISO 640. I was very close, could almost reach out and touch this beauty. Your comments are most welcome and appreciated, John

Doug Brown
06-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Magnificent bird! Amazing that you got so close. Nice job with the exposure and sharpness in the feathers, but the top of the bill looks a little funny. Kind of like you tried to tone down some serious hot spots from the sun off to the right. BG is smooth. I might add a little more canvas up top. Thanks for posting!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I like the details, open bill and BG. Great to get so close, kingfishers around here are not nearly as cooperative. The light looks a bit harsh and I would raise the color temperature a few degrees. I agree with Doug regarding more room and upper mandible. Keep them coming!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Incredible looking kingfisher and excellent detail and exposure. I agree about a little more canvas on top.

John Deakin
06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Doug, Axel, Judy, thanks so much for looking and constructive suggestions, I agree a tad more canvas would help the image and yes Doug, well spotted, the light was quite harsh that afternoon and so some hot spots were 'seen to', not very convincingly it seems :). This guy, together with other GF's and Pied KF's, sit on the bridge rail unperturbed by passing traffic and camera's, if ony we could get as close when they sit on natural perches :(, I guess we just have to capture them where we find them and make the best of the situation. Thanks again, John