PDA

View Full Version : when company won't leave...

annmpacheco
06-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Handsome crested caracara tolerating the persistent "move it along buddy" routine. The entire shoot was accompanied by up to three mockingbirds that would constantly dive bomb and photobomb the caracaras, lessening their actions with Harris hawks. There was a nest nearby and their community defense actions made for different opportunities... They would aim for the tail feathers and when they made contact it was either a pounce up and down or a tug at a feather! Rarely did the caracara react! My challenge was to get both in focus and i was pleased with this frame. Taken from a raptor blind in Texas.

DPP, levels, sharpening, NR

1Dx
600mm
iso 800
1/4000

Daniel Grossi
06-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Wow! This one is a lot of fun Ann. I imagine someone could possibly say the wish for a better HA with the mockingbird, but I'd feel the same either way. I love crazy movement of the mockingbird. That caracara just doesn't care it seems. Reminds me of the red-winged black birds vs bald eagles where I live.

Daniel Grossi
06-07-2018, 06:54 PM
And your settings... I can see myself easily doing this one too slow. I would have been at 1/2500; f/5.6; ISO-400. TFS

Isaac Grant
06-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Really pretty frame Ann and I love the interaction. I would lower the blues on the mockingbird a bit.

Glenn Pure
06-08-2018, 01:11 AM
True stunner here, Ann. I did see your earlier shot as well and thought that was quite remarkable too. Great getting both in the plane of focus too - not easy in situations like this (but I haven't seen the discards you had either). All the same, a bit more stopping down would have been a safer option and the way I would have gone but who can argue with the result. Tone, colour, detail and processing superb and certainly does this the justice it deserves.

arash_hazeghi
06-08-2018, 01:25 AM
pretty frame, nice and sharp with good light and colors. Both birds are sharp which is a plus in these kinds of shots. This would be a stronger mage of the caracara and the mocking bird were looking at each other

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Wonderful shot, love the moment and the colours look beautiful. Good details in the various tones, one to be proud of.

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Beautiful shot. I really the way how you go both in focus. This makes the shot to work.
Thanks for sharing

Joseph Przybyla
06-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Nice work, Ann. Both birds in focus, colors and exposure look spot on, perfect background and perch. Thank you for sharing.

David Salem
06-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Looks great Ann!! Typical mockingbird protecting its nest.
Not easy to get both birds on the same focal plane but you managed to get both very sharp. I always love a good action shot and this is sure one.
I agree about the nonchalant look of the caracara but can't ask for everything.
Well done.