PDA

View Full Version : common ground dove

annmpacheco
06-05-2018, 12:26 PM
What a beautiful small dove ( slightly larger than a sparrow!) that I believe was a lifer for me in Texas. This is a male with a lovely pink wash and rich rufous brown wings while in flight. I love doves and was quite happy when a pair ventured from the scrubby shrubs and moved across the red dirt. Something startled him and a quick kick of the dirt and a raise of the wings was just what I captured. Luckily this is one of the protected doves that can not be hunted as a gamebird in Texas. Taken from a ground blind.
Levels, sharpened, NR

1Dx
600mm
ISO 1600
1/1600

Daniel Grossi
06-05-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm trying really hard for something to critique on this, but I can't. I love the how the red dirt matches the inside of the wing. DoF here is perfect. I could easily see myself going too shallow here and saving up for ISO-800.

John Whaley
06-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Awesome capture. Great dynamic pose, low pov and high IQ. Love the colors, bright clear eye and feather detail. The raised foot and flying dirt adds.

Isaac Grant
06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
I think this is my favorite shot you have ever posted Ann. Well this and the shoveler in flight. Love everything here. Colors, pose, details, eye contact. All just great. I do think it needs a touch of clockwise rotation and maybe lift the exposure a tiny bit.

David Policansky
06-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Dove on Mars! What a wonderful image, Ann. I can't imagine how it could be improved.

gail bisson
06-05-2018, 06:12 PM
I love Dave's tirle! Dove on Mars! Good one.
Lovely image and agree with Isaac's critique 100%,
Gail

David Salem
06-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Wow Ann this looks great!! Love the complementary colors and smoking details. Very nice

Glenn Pure
06-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Really wonderful image, Ann. I especially like the kicked-up bits of earth in this. Great low POV really adds. Detail, colour and tone on the bird look superb set in this striking colour scene. Hard to beat this.

Jonathan Ashton
06-06-2018, 03:23 AM
Love the low angle and the action with the dirt flying. The eye is well rendered.
I would suggest tiny bit more exposure and check the yellows and reds they are just a little heavy and check contrast too.

Bill Dix
06-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Well captured, Ann. Love the richness of the color, and the pose complete with flying red dirt. Good one!

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Beautifully captured.

Awesome colors.

Thanks for sharing

Stu Bowie
06-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Hi Ann, you nailed this. Great light and IQ, and the detail you have captured is tops. Love the raised foot and flying dirt, and the two tone BG works well. We tend to over look Doves/Pigeons, but you have shown that they make great subjects.