PDA

View Full Version : Wet Bear, Katmai National Park

susanschermer
06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
This brown bear had just emerged from a swim to a neighboring beach for clam-digging. Mark 1D Mark III, 500mm lens, f-4 @1/2000. ISO 400

Fabs Forns
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Hehe, great shake and the millions of water drops. That is some nose :)

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Susan,
Really like the frozen action here. Sharp as could be! I'm wondering if you had been on the lighter side if the effect would be the same??? The water coming off the fur with the swirling fur below the chin make this for me.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Very cool moment captured. I might give it a bit more room at the left.

D. Robert Franz
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Great image love the action here. Great use of sidelightig. A bit more room on lthe left would be helpful. Looks like a little CCW rotation would level it up a bit. Well done!

Mike Lentz
06-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Must have been a nice experience! I agree about more canvas on the left and maybe a wee bit up top as his nose is slightly facing upwards.

Grady Weed
06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
CCW rotation needed. But the shake and the water drops are a key here. I almost thought to duck when I opened this one. Great emotional eye contact appeal.

Alfred Forns
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Love it Susan Just a little more room for me particularly on the left side !!! Big Congrats !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Awesome capture Susan and superb timing. I have never ever seen so many waterdroplets !!! Love it !!!

Steve Canuel
06-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Susan,
I agree with the suggestions of CCW rotation and a little more room on left (and personal preference, on top) Nice sharpness from nose to eye and the twisting fur on the neck and flying water makes this one. BG color and water are nicely included as well.
Steve

Jasper Doest
06-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Excellent timing Susan! You caught this one at the exact right moment! Howerver.... I agree with the comments about a little more room on the left, so that the bear has more space to move into. Also I find the contrast a bit flat...the highlights are there, but the shadows are not. Perhaps you could try a lower angle next time...this would certainly put this one over the top. Happy shooting!

susanschermer
06-26-2008, 07:09 AM
I heeded your suggestions I went back to the raw file and made a lesser crop and a slight CCW rotation. Do you dislike the inclusion of the rock?

Steve Foss
06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Great image either way. The rock doesn't bother me. The bear still has so much drama and impact that an eye drawn to the rock is an eye paying too much attention to the wrong things, IMO. I am especially rewarded in looking at this image, aside from the neat statement of fur and water, in that the eye is sharp and not obscured by flying water. If the rock is an issue for you, it's a fairly simple clone job if that falls within your ethical path.

Vincent Grafhorst
06-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Susan, I like your repost a lot better! The first post looked way too flat, as if the S/H tool had been over used. I don't mind the inclusion of the rock at all. great image!

Krijn Trimbos
06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Your repost is soo much beter Susan! I could go for just a bit more CCW rotation (follow the water line just below the bear for your straightening tool) and to make it completely perfect you could try to clone out the rock if, like steve said, it would go with your personal ethics, also I would give it/clone in a bit more room on top. Apart from these very minor nits this is one rocking shot!!!

Peter Buntman
06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Amazing capture and sighting, love the millions of droplets all around and the movement, agree on the crop a bit more space LHS would be perfect, I went to Yellow SNP and got some amazing images and had a system crash and lost all of them so this brings back great memories. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>