View Full Version : Eider in Flight

William Dickson
05-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/7.1
1/3200
ISO 640

We are getting some good late evening light here now, so I am making the most of it. Another I captured from the shore in my hometown.

Will

John Mack
05-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Great flight pose on the bird. Exposure looks good in the blacks and the whites.

Bill Dix
05-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Terrific wing position, and nice detail. I imagine this is a tough bird to expose properly in sunlight, but you did very well here.

Paul Burdett
05-31-2018, 02:05 AM
Lovely shot with excellent detail. Was this hand held?

John Whaley
05-31-2018, 07:46 AM
A great in flight capture Will. Perfect down wing position, tack focus and good feather detail. I would have expected to find the rocks in the background distracting but they actually make the image more interesting to me. Well done.

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Nice one Will, looks like you had some good light for a change, based on the techs. Personally I might have blown some blue in at the tail end to separate it from the OOF rocks.

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
05-31-2018, 10:24 AM
Eider looks great- nice and sharp and great wing position.
Lovely light.
I am not crazy about the OOF rocks- they overwhelm the eider.
I like Steve's suggestion of cloning out the rock around the tail,
Gail

Isaac Grant
05-31-2018, 05:42 PM
Ok William I am going to be super picky here. The bird looks very good and you have nice details. Great wing position. However the bird is angled slightly away from us and I always find these images less engaging. Also the large rocks in the background are distracting, both in general and where they intersect the bird. Especially the large black area below the tail. I've never had a chance to shoot these birds with the sun at my back anywhere in NY so I am envious of your opportunities, but I think this is one of those shots that just shows how difficult it is to get all of the elements to line up perfectly in bird photography.

David Policansky
05-31-2018, 07:46 PM
You know, Isaac Grant is being super picky but I'm having a hard time disagreeing with his comments (except the one about the angle, which seems fine to me; at least, it doesn't bother me). The exposure and detail seem excellent, though.

Arthur Morris
06-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Killer EXP, SH, and wings down flight pose. For me, a bit more room behind the bird would have been nice. Not only is the rock below the tail problematic but the two really dark areas are not doing you any favor.

with love, artie

Stu Bowie
06-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Hi Will, gotta love this flight pose with the perfect full down stroke of the near wing. Excellent sharpness, well exposed, and I'm fine with the BG. I would only blend in the two darker spots in the LRC.

William Dickson
06-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the interesting comments. I have other Eider in flight i managed on the same evening. I chose this one to post, as I thought it was different and gave something to the BG. some like it, some don't, but, thats what this site is all about. I agree that cloning away the rock around the tail of the bird, and also cloning out the 2 black areas on the rocks would improve the image. Yes Paul, handheld, I always handhold when doing flight photography.

Will