PDA

View Full Version : Common blue butterfly (Polyommatus icarus)

Jonathan Ashton
05-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Hand held with garden cane, Canon 5D IVCanon 180mm macro
Auto ISO1600 , 1/1000 sec f9
ACR + PSCC

The garden cane or a piece of dowelling about 4 foot long, hold the tripod foot and the cane in the left hand, you can find any height any angle very quickly, I find this much more flexible than a monopod (also lighter!). I hold the foot against the cane as opposed to the camera so I don't scratch the camera. the cane is also very useful for moving blades of grass out of the way without disturbing the insects.

John Mack
05-30-2018, 08:21 PM
Very nice. Sounds like you have found a unique method for your macro opportunities. Butterfly is tack sharp, really like the perch and the green background.

Steve Kaluski
06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Hi Jon, again great colours, but if you cranked things up to say f/22 and just backed off a fraction (moving back), would you get all the vegetation and antenna in focus?

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
06-01-2018, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1186909]Hi Jon, again great colours, but if you cranked things up to say f/22 and just backed off a fraction (moving back), would you get all the vegetation and antenna in focus?

TFS
Steve[/QUOTE

Quite likely Steve but I would hesitate to go to f22 because diffraction sets in. F16 would do it, I think I did take some further back, I usually do if I get a cooperative subject.

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Beautiful image. Great Background and awesome colors on the subject.

Thanks sharing