PDA

View Full Version : Just another - backlit WT Sea eagle

Steve Kaluski
05-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Another backlit, just love the light and trailing water. Again shot from a small, rolling skiff, but having fun... Stu, I'll be looking for some African Fish eagles now.

Thanks to those who viewed or especially commented on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: White-tailed Sea Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) backlit, with fish
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO400
Original format: Landscape, FF on width
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

John Mack
05-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Very nice. Love how the wing and tail glow and even the water trailing off from the fish. I will say i am surprised how low your ISO is, you usually have it higher.

Steve Kaluski
05-29-2018, 03:52 PM
I will say i am surprised how low your ISO is, you usually have it higher.

Indeed John, but then look at the SS. I will dial in the SS & aperture I want then let the ISO be what it needs to be, however I'm more than happy with a low ISO. :S3:

Bill Dix
05-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Perfect moment caught with nice rim lighting. Nicely done.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-29-2018, 05:51 PM
I love the final image Steve. The golden light bathing around the edges of its plumage are beautiful. Nicely frozen action.
Norway is on the cards in the future for us, this is exactly the type of photography I was after there. I'll pick your brain privately. :)
Thanks for sharing mate.

Joseph Przybyla
05-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Hi Steve, I never look for backlit opportunities, will have to pay more attention in the future. I'm with John in loving how the wing, tail, and trailing water glow. Always a high quality image when you post. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2018, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Norway is on the cards in the future for us, this is exactly the type of photography I was after there. I'll pick your brain privately. :)

It was a fun trip for sure and something I had been badger to do for a few years now, but standing on a moving skiff, rolling around in a fjord can be tricky, especially trying to track & keep any shoreline horizontal. Akos, it tends to be only for four, are you also thinking of bringing you better half and does she too like to photograph otherwise it's a very long day, plus there is also Musk Ox so being relatively fit does help because of the location & terrain.

William Dickson
05-31-2018, 01:48 AM
Lovely looking frame Steve. Seen this one before, but I can look and look again. Love the lighting and trail of water. Cracking backlit image, with a beautiful bird.

Well done

Will

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-31-2018, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words.

It was a fun trip for sure and something I had been badger to do for a few years now, but standing on a moving skiff, rolling around in a fjord can be tricky, especially trying to track & keep any shoreline horizontal. Akos, it tends to be only for four, are you also thinking of bringing you better half and does she too like to photograph otherwise it's a very long day, plus there is also Musk Ox so being relatively fit does help because of the location & terrain.

Thanks mate, yeah she also photographs. And don't worry, I can handle a big lens on a rocking boat just fine! Do it here regularly on the pelagics... Not easy, you are right, but very manageable for me anyway.