PDA

View Full Version : Svalbard

Bill Dix
05-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Pano taken several weeks ago at 80 degrees North Latitude.

Don Railton
05-29-2018, 09:52 PM
Hi Bill..

This is a cracker of a shot..Superb..!! Love all the detail and it exudes a cold stillness and calmness... What a wonderful place to be at with a camera.. Is it a stitch of multiple images..? I think it might be because of the detail (nothing published about gear and processing..). If I am right did you process all the images with the same white balance & settings..?, I ask because the RHS of the centre mountain (image center) seems warmer than the LHS.. It could easily be a natural phenomenon but its worth asking the question anyway.. There is a slight blowout of the spot where the sun is but nit picking really, but if you could fix it I would. STICK IT ON A WALL...!!

DON

Bill Dix
06-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Thank you Don. I really appreciate the comments. As to the EXIF: It's been said that the best camera is the one you have with you. This is an iPhone panorama. I was surprised how well it showed the detail. The WB was unchanged from L to R, or course, but I did notice the greater warmth on the RHS. I'm assuming that was because the right was more influenced by the sun reflection, while the left showed reflection from the glacier and darker clouds. I did a gradient burn layer in the sky but probably could have toned down the sunny spot a bit more. It was indeed a great place to be with a camera, even an iPhone. (I did get lots of shots with the 16-80 and with the 150-600, but for some reason I felt this evoked the scene better than any of those.)

Don Railton
06-02-2018, 01:26 AM
Hi Bill
... and even more wonderful that its from a Phone. Isn't it amazing what they can do now with Phone cameras. A lady in my camera club uses her latest Iphone quite a lot and instead of her Sony something...we call the images either 'Sonyies' or 'Phonies'... I do wonder if the algorithm that stitches the image together as you pan (I Think this is how they work) continually adjusts the WB of the incoming data.. you would hope not.. Well done anyway.

DON

Krishna Prasad kotti
06-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Very Nice Image. I like the choice of Composition (Panaroma). I might try to tone down the highlights in the Top Right corner a little.

TFS

Bill Dix
06-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Thanks Krishna. I did tone down the highlight area in the upper right, and tried reducing the brightness even further to the point that it started to look greyed out. But I agree it does look overly bright. I'm not sure how to fix it without it looking strange.

gail bisson
06-28-2018, 04:32 AM
WOW Bill! What a great image! Gotta love the iPhones.
I love the cool colors (no pun intended) and that wonderful calm water.
I am impressed!
Gail

Bill Dix
06-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Thanks Gail. Yes, I was amazed at what the iPhone can do.

John Mack
07-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Very nice. Looks great for an iPhone pano but i am not surprised.

Walker Noe
07-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Nicely done Bill. Great detail and a stunning scene captured here. I agree with comments re highlights.

Bill Dix
07-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Thanks John and Walker.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-19-2018, 09:57 AM
No excuse for not posting comments earlier Bill, but I can say that I raved about and marveled at the extraordinary quality of this image, when you returned form this adventure, with you in person. I wanted to add that for what you possibly thought was going to be a "record" shot, in fact became more than a keeper.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)