View Full Version : White Tailed Eagle

William Dickson
05-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm
f/5.6
1/2500
ISO 1000

This is one from my recent visit to the Isle of Mull on the west coast of Scotland. My wife and I had returned to our cottage, because of the heavy rain earlier in the day. During the early evening, I was photographing some songbirds attracted to feeders I had hung on nearby trees at the front of the cottage. When, I saw this WTE, carrying a fish, flying over the loch in front of the cottage. It was one of the only times I had removed the 1.4, as I was close to the songbirds. But, i thought it turned out ok, showing the stormy looking skies in the BG.

Will

Krishna Prasad kotti
05-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Nice Wing down position and placement of the bird in the Frame.

I do wish for better Head Angle

TFS

Steve Kaluski
05-24-2018, 05:59 AM
Hi Will, glad you got to see them, albeit a brief encounter.

Like the inclusion of the mountains in the BKG. IQ looks a bit off and the darker feathers look to be 'lifted', was the image under exposed?

Hope you had a great time, see any Otters on your travels?

TFS
Steve

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-24-2018, 06:05 AM
If you had cropped this aggressively, it shows. I can see noise in the plumage and it is just lacking that little extra punch.
I hope I am not looking incorrectly, as I have just updated from my 27" iMac to a Windows system with a 32" 4K gaming monitor.
I have the browser set at 100% view, I am not sure what is going on yet. A lot of images seem to be lacking that punch. I did see two of Arash's and they kick a$$; seriously. Sharp, detailed and well processed.
I will post an image shortly at the 1920 pixel limit allowed and see how that views here.....

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-24-2018, 06:19 AM
I think I worked it out, I need to be looking at images with the browser view set to 67%. Look much better that way.

John Mack
05-24-2018, 08:39 AM
You did well in the flat light. Like the downstroke pose on the bird.

Isaac Grant
05-24-2018, 10:01 PM
Very pretty scene here William. Love the powerful downstroke and the mountains in the background. Details look pretty good to me.

William Dickson
05-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I saw a few otters Steve, but never got close enough. I thought the detail looked pretty good as well Isaac, on the 5k iMac.

Will