PDA

View Full Version : Spoonie Spat- That's got to hurt!

gail bisson
05-20-2018, 12:07 PM
I realize this is not a "clean "image but I wanted to show the behavior captured here. The spat lasted a long time ~ 3 minutes and I got a lot of frames but this is the most "painful" frame.
Very dark and overcast morning.
Canon 1 DX
600mm
SS 1/2000 ISO 2500 F 5.6.
Small crop to 80% FF and cloned out 1 twig behind wing and trimmed back one of palm fronds near bill.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

John Mack
05-20-2018, 03:30 PM
I don't mind the "cluttered" setting. This image sure does tell a story and that has got to hurt.

Daniel Cadieux
05-20-2018, 05:29 PM
It's cluttered, but in a good way. Quite the pinch, ouch! I love it!

Joseph Przybyla
05-20-2018, 06:05 PM
I echo the previous comments regarding the image and fight. Techs perfect as always. Thank you for sharing, Gail.

Glenn Pure
05-20-2018, 06:32 PM
I think this is more than a 'spat', Gail. Likes like a full blown fight. The frame you've chosen shows it all and quite remarkable to see such a savage bite. While not ideal, the clutter is what it is and adds to the awkwardness and discomfort of what was going on. Tight framing works for me. Only thing I would revisit is the highlights on both birds: lower neck/upper body of bird on left and back of neck of bird on right. Thanks for sharing.

Stu Bowie
05-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Hi Gail, all i can say is "OUCH" thats gotta hurt, as we can see the force of the squeeze on the neck. The focus is on the behaviour, so who's looking at the surrounding foliage/BG. This is their enviroment. As always, gotta love the colours of your Spoonbills.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Behaviour at its best Gail. I don't mind the foliage, trees and obstructions. It is what it is.
Well seen and captured.
TFS