View Full Version : Theme - Eider in flight

William Dickson
05-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/7.1
1/4000
ISO 640

This is one I captured yesterday during sunset from the shore in my hometown. I wished it had flown in front of me, as the setting sun was behind me. But, I still liked the shadow effect that was produced when it came in from my right hand side. It was during a very low tide, and I had clambered over the rocks to get nearer the sea, as I had noticed their 'usual' flight path. I now wished I hadn't went so far out. When the bird eventually seen me, about 10 feet away, it quickly turned behind. There is no posterisation on the original TIFF file.

Will

David Policansky
05-18-2018, 06:36 PM
I really like this one, Will. It's sharp and the bird seems to be coming right at you. It would have been different it the bird had been flying into the sun but I'm not sure if it would have been better.

Geoffrey Montagu
05-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Neat flight capture, William. Talk about sweet light. This is beautiful especially with that nice shade of gray in the background. Like that we see the eye with catchlight, and the slight motion blur in the wings. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Tim Foltz
05-19-2018, 01:23 AM
Will, nice in-flight, sure wish we had these here. Nice details and angle.

-Tim

Isaac Grant
05-19-2018, 10:47 AM
That late soft light really brought out some beautiful details. I like the different perspective of this shot. I do wish the left side wasn't so shaded though as the detail is just so pretty on the right side.

Stu Bowie
05-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Hi Will, in your face 3D here, and the Eider is popping out of my screen. Well locked on focus on the head, sharp, and I like symmetry of the wings. I like your clean BG too. Well captured mate.

William Dickson
05-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. I must return to the same location next best sunset, and hopefully get a few shots of the eiders flying past in front of me.

Will