PDA

View Full Version : Peek A Boo

Mike Moats
06-25-2008, 05:01 AM
I found this interesting comp floating in a swamp. The small leaf was positioned perfectly in the opening of the large leaf. I like how the left side of the small leaf is outlined with a different shade of yellow. The silver color in the water is reflection from clouds. I ran the main vein of the large leaf straight up, which put the small leaf on a nice diagonal. Fuji S3, Sigma 180 macro Tripod, F22.

Julie Kenward
06-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Beautiful comp, Mike. I'm wondering how you exposed for the water? I've been trying to get the same effect and not having a lot of luck. Is it more a matter of getting the camera right or of finding a place where the water has some overcast reflections?

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Mike,
Another well thought out comp. Looks like a bit of the swamp oil on the surface. For me the stem of the smaller leaf makes this as it adds another dimension. Another fine one of things we tend to overlook!
Julie,.......you do need open bright overcast to get the silver water......no trees or other stuff in the way.

Fabs Forns
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Very creative use of elements for a provocative compo. Excellent done!

Mike Moats
06-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Julie, the reflection has a lot to do with the angles. Every where you position yourself the reflection and light changes, so you have to work the angles. Most the time it doesn't work out but if you keep at it you'll hit the right one. Roman, your right there is a small touch of swamp oil there.

Julie Kenward
06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Mike. I am going to be out over the long 4th of July weekend and hope to give this a try then!

Robert O'Toole
06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I really like the simple comp and the contrasty colors. Nice job Mike. The silver and gold colors work well.

Robert

Mary Stamper
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I like the way the dark edge of the water divides the two colors of the leaves and the water. Very abstract...doesn't even matter that there are leaves there. The
three main colors do it by themselves. Really nice!

John Cooper
06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Well thought out composition Mike with good colour impact!!