PDA

View Full Version : Eurasian robin

Jonathan Ashton
05-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Taken from my back garden hide, tripod head, I baited the rotten log with mealworms
Canon 5D IV Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 640, 1/2000 sec f8 (I am finding the camera tends to underexpose slightly - 800 would have been about right)
ACR + PSCC

John Mack
05-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Nice frame. Like the green background, pose on the bird and the mealworm is a plus. Looks like you got your hands on a Mark IV have fun with the new toy.

Isaac Grant
05-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Congrats on the new toy. I like everything about this image except the meal worm as it just doesn't seem natural for them to have a dried meal worm. Pose, details and comp all look spot on.

Gerald Kelberg
05-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Hi Jon,

Nice pose on the Robin with that raised tail; looks good against that nice green background.

Clearly getting nice results from your new camera. Enjoy!

Gerald

Jonathan Ashton
05-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone glad you liked it, Isaac the robin is eating live mealworms that had worked their way into the rotten log.

annmpacheco
05-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Hi Jon,
congrats on your 5DMiv, you'll really love it for a variety of reasons! I like the robin very much, nice perky pose with IQ and details. However, the set up isn't as pleasing as the robin, seems too big, heavy, and not sure what the clumpy brown stuff is but it draws my eye... Also, the meal worm has the "planted" feel to it although they are live, etc, ... Love the robin though Jon!

Jonathan Ashton
05-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Anne I accept the critique unequivocally, the mush is decaying rotten wood, I mixed mealworms in this so the robin could retrieve them. I have some shots mid air but as you say the log is comparatively large. Yes liking the camera very much, it is so light and compact compared to 1DX.

keith mitchell
05-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Jon the feather detail you have on this is superb.

Keith.

Paul Burdett
05-17-2018, 06:52 AM
Hi Jon. I think this is an excellent image..the IQ, colours and composition are impressive. I don't mind the log, but understand how others might feel it's too big...I'd probably crop a little more at the bottom to reduce the log's width.