PDA

View Full Version : reddish egret flies away...

annmpacheco
05-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Nothing better for me than an afternoon in the water with Big Red... Gail B. and I were at Fort DeSoto and had our opportunities with this reddish egret, who stayed close to the mangroves... After an afternoon of feeding, he preened, and then it was up and away... I wish the shadow on the wing wasn't there...
DPP, levels, sharpening, NR...

1Dx
840mm
ISO 1250
1/3200

John Mack
05-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Nice light. Good pose on the bird. I don't mind the shadow on the wing.

Arthur Morris
05-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Almost perfect, with a good self critique. If you go back, try the Gulf Pier for the hybird heron/egret ...

with love, artie

gail bisson
05-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Hi Ann!
I like the light, the IQ and the sharpness.
i don't mind the shadow. Nice wing position and incoming flight path.
For my taste, I would like a bit more room below but very nice as is.
Is it possible that a Canon camera and lens took this BIF?!!!:t3
Gail

Glenn Conlan
05-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Great capture Ann the light was nice and you have great separation from the BG. Wish we had more Reddish egrets in our area. Looks like you and Gail came away with numerous keepers

Arthur Morris
05-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Hi Ann!
I like the light, the IQ and the sharpness.
i don't mind the shadow. Nice wing position and incoming flight path.
For my taste, I would like a bit more room below but very nice as is.
Is it possible that a Canon camera and lens took this BIF?!!!:t3
Gail

Yes, it is possible. But you have not been listening carefully :) Imagine what it would be like to take a series of ten and not have to pray that the best wing position was gonna be sharp. When you get one soft one with Nikon it comes as a shock ..

Here is what I especially for you and Ann at Arash's Willet this morning:

As I have been saying for many months:

1- Good and half-way decent flight photographers (like me) will produce better, more consistently sharp images with Nikon than with Canon.
2- Great Canon flight photographers like Arash and David Salem and Doug Brown willl continue to make great images with their Nikon gear. But they will over time produce a superior body of incredible work and enjoy more consistently sharp flight images.
3- Excellent flight photographers likeIsaac Grant and Tim Folz and others will continue to produce some great images with Canon but live with inconsistent AF.
4- Gail and Ann, and others who might switch: please e-mail for affiliate links: I have a guy who can get you the stuff cheaper than B&H with fast, personalized service. And it does not cost you one penny more. Remember, I switched after 10 seconds of flight photography ... Also, I can help you get a good price for your used gear on the BAA Used Gear Page. (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/used-photography-gear-for-sale/)

See the blog from mid-January on for my whole Canon to Nikon story.

ps: there are lots of things about Nikon that suck ...

with love, artie

gail bisson
05-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Yes, it is possible. But you have not been listening carefully :) Imagine what it would be like to take a series of ten and not have to pray that the best wing position was gonna be sharp. When you get one soft one with Nikon it comes as a shock ..

Here is what I especially for you and Ann at Arash's Willet this morning:

As I have been saying for many months:

1- Good and half-way decent flight photographers (like me) will produce better, more consistently sharp images with Nikon than with Canon.
2- Great Canon flight photographers like Arash and David Salem and Doug Brown willl continue to make great images with their Nikon gear. But they will over time produce a superior body of incredible work and enjoy more consistently sharp flight images.
3- Excellent flight photographers likeIsaac Grant and Tim Folz and others will continue to produce some great images with Canon but live with inconsistent AF.
4- Gail and Ann, and others who might switch: please e-mail for affiliate links: I have a guy who can get you the stuff cheaper than B&H with fast, personalized service. And it does not cost you one penny more. Remember, I switched after 10 seconds of flight photography ... Also, I can help you get a good price for your used gear on the BAA Used Gear Page. (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/used-photography-gear-for-sale/)

See the blog from mid-January on for my whole Canon to Nikon story.

ps: there are lots of things about Nikon that suck ...

with love, artie
I don't want to hijack Ann's thread but I will!:S3:
Firstly, I am highly bummed that I did not make "great "or "excellent" or even "good and half-way decent" flight photographer in your comment!:t3I am joking of course!
Secondly, I have not tried the Nikon stuff so I cannot comment on it. I am reluctant to try it because I am newly retired and $$$ matter. If I fall in love with Nikon I cannot afford the switch and it would cost ~ $6000.00 or more assuming I got top dollar for my current gear. I would rather spend the money on travel. I am also not a professional photographer but rather a hobbyist and only ~ 20% of my photography would be BIF. These are my reasons for staying with Canon. I am also praying that the next generation of Canon camera will address any AF issues I might have. Summer Olympics are in 2020 so we should see a new flagship camera from Canon.
Thank you for the offer re: affiliate links but for now I am staying put!
Gail

Arthur Morris
05-09-2018, 08:41 AM
All good Gail. Your life, your call. And there are many folks who feel exactly as you do. And I am fine with that but only 100%. And yes, you have made some great flight images over the years, just not as many as Arash or David :)

with love, artie

annmpacheco
05-09-2018, 08:58 AM
All good here, i want my 10 seconds with a Nikon in my hands, but I'm convinced as well for all of the reasons you mention Artie, as well as the others... i spoke with David S last night and he is just soooo excited and I too will make a choice once i weigh all my variables.... My used Canon gear etc, ...

Arthur Morris
05-09-2018, 09:07 AM
All good here, i want my 10 seconds with a Nikon in my hands, but I'm convinced as well for all of the reasons you mention Artie, as well as the others... i spoke with David S last night and he is just soooo excited and I too will make a choice once i weigh all my variables.... My used Canon gear etc, ...

Be careful Ann. If there are birds flying during those ten seconds ...

with love, artie

Stu Bowie
05-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Hi Ann, great flight capture and with raised wings. I've always liked these birds which we dont have here in SA. They have a lot of detail and various colours on them. I do like your BG too.

With regards to swopping, I cant even afford a 1DX :w3 so I will have to keep my current kit which gets me by. I cant even think about swopping if I wanted too. Good luck if you make the move.

Mike Poole
05-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Nice flight shot Ann, the shadow is unfortunate but by no means a deal breaker (not for me anyway!). I love being in that area of Desoto - so many keepers each session compared to shooting in England!

Mike

Isaac Grant
05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
This is pretty Ann. Beautiful light and a nice pose as well. Getting the angle on a flying bird with zero shadow is so hard. Takes repeat opportunities over a long time. Not something you typically have on a short vacation. I'd be very happy with a frame like this of these beautiful birds. I saw the one and only Reddish Egret in New York May of 1991.

Glenn Pure
05-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Fantastic light and setting, Ann. Lot's to like here and I'm also not bothered by that shadow. Having read some of the exchange on Nikon BIF, I coincidentally noticed some softness to this when I first opened it and before I read the exchange. Maybe it's just in need of a bit more output sharpening (to my eye at least). Only you would know as you have the RAW. But I am nitpicking. This is a really fine frame.

David Salem
05-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Nice looking flight frame Ann. Yes to a little more sharpening on the head. Well done. Didn't read all this fun stuff before but very interesting stuff:)