PDA

View Full Version : Life In The Louisiana Rookeries

Allen Sparks
05-07-2018, 11:21 PM
I visited a few Louisiana rookeries in late April. I thought I'd share some of the behavior I observed.

Image #1
These are Snowy Egrets after a tussle for territory. No real harm done except the pond was being patrolled by a 12 foot alligator - the bird did not stay in the water long.

Image #2
This is a Roseate Spoonbill bringing a stick back the nest. I didn't see this behavior often from the Roseates as they could be seen stealing the sticks from smaller birds' nests such as Little Blue Herons and Cattle Egrets.

Image #3
The birds would sometimes spot sticks in the water and make a go for it. This Great Egret tried for this large stick but dropped it before making it to the nest.

Image #4
Great Egret feeding young. This image shows two of the chicks which appear well fed. Not pictured is a hidden third chick in the nest which appears malnourished. My understanding is that it is unusual for more than two chicks to survive.

Image #5
Here is a Cormorant bringing in a branch. I read that their nest is constructed first of bare twigs then leafy branches so this bird's nest must be near completion.

Gabriela Plesea
05-09-2018, 03:43 PM
Hello Allen!
Amazing avian sightings beautifully captured! Love the behaviour aspect of each frame as well as the quality of the images:5

I truly enjoyed reading the intro with information. We have Great Egrets and Cormorants here but I personally have not had that many opportunities to observe and photograph them. I like the entire sequence as presented. I must admit I cannot take my eyes off the roseate spoonbill whose colours are simply amazing:)
Beautifully framed and executed - wonderful work, Allen! Nice processing too, congratulations, heartfelt thanks for sharing:cheers:

Warmest regards,