PDA

View Full Version : Stone Chat

Robert Ainslie
05-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Whites around the head blown out. Can this be successfully corrected in LR or PS as it is a jpeg?
All comments welcomed.

Was not expecting the bird, grabbed the nearest camera which was a Canon Powershot SX60.
100, 1/160, F6.5, 250mm, jpeg

Cropped for presentation, slight adjustments in LR.

Tim Foltz
05-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Hi Robert, you are pretty limited if shot in jpeg. This looks like a big crop, image is a bit soft.
I would also clone out the twig directly below it's beak. I hope you get another chance at it.

-Tim

Bob Miller
08-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Not bad for a quick shot but it does have that look of being cropped too much. I would try not to crop more than 10 % with a Powershot. You can improve this shot a lot by cloning out the branch closet to his beak all the way back to the green needles. I do think you handled the bg nicely... a beautiful wash of color! You might also try darkening the green needles so they blend a bit better with the darker bg. Also try to keep your shutter speed equal to or greater that the focal length( 250 mm) . One more thing...start shooting in Raw so much easier to work with in post processing and Raw has more color gradations. Try it! I don't think you will ever go back to jpeg.