PDA

View Full Version : Black-necked Grebe

Gerald Kelberg
04-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Haven't posted for a long time, so thought I should get back in the habit!

This is one of a group of Black-necked Grebes in a local nature reserve. Been on my list for a long time, but only managed to get a location with a good low point of view this past Saturday!

Canon EOS 1DX, EF 200-400 with 1.4 III extender stretching to 784 mm.
TV 1/800, AV f8.0 ISO 1600 - overcast weather
Converted in DPP4, optimised with PS5.1 - minimal changes , NR on background with Define 2.

I love those bright red eyes!

Thanks for looking and suggestions.

Michael Thompson
04-30-2018, 10:36 AM
nice! love the low angle, soft background, and water droplets, and yes, those eyes! I am shooting these for the first time this year, I like how they tilt their head a bit to give you a look over.

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2018, 11:24 AM
A cracking capture Gerald and I love the colour palette here. Gorgeous POV and I very much like the body/head angle here. Cool detail and very well exposed based on the transition of Blacks to Whites, nothing blown, but you might want just to tickle in the rear whites just for a hint of tone, but no deal breaker.

Canon EOS 1DX, EF 200-400 with 1.4 III extender stretching to 784 mm

Gerald, did you add an TC to this, if so well done, but a beast to HH for long periods.

TFS
Steve

Gerald Kelberg
04-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Thanks Mike, I think this is a different variety to your Horned Grebe, but all grebes are really cool and challenging.

Steve, yes, I was using the built-in extender plus a 1.4 III to get to the 784mm. The birds were keeping quite well out in the pond, so needed the extra distance. I was using a Skimmer pod laying in the mud on the side of the pond to get the low angle, so no hand holding, thankfully. Appreciate your suggestion.

Gerald

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Steve, yes, I was using the built-in extender plus a 1.4 III to get to the 784mm. The birds were keeping quite well out in the pond, so needed the extra distance. I was using a Skimmer pod laying in the mud on the side of the pond to get the low angle, so no hand holding, thankfully. Appreciate your suggestion.

Interesting Gerald, a few folk I know have don't the same and with similar results. Good call on the SP, ideal for these conditions and with a simple ball head makes like and moving very easy, well done. Hope to see more.

Don Lacy
04-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Hi Gerald, Wonderful low angle and the detail with the water droplets is awesome, great HA and colors but the eye is what makes the image for me it is mesmerizing.

arash_hazeghi
05-02-2018, 03:46 AM
looks nice Gerald just wish you didn't have the bright middle band in the BG