PDA

View Full Version : Gannet - Courtship

Steve Kaluski
04-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Very much FF on this one, just wished the LH Gannet had a bit more head turn to the right.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Gannet (Morus bassanus)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 500f/4 with 2x TC MKIII HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/16 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, all most FF
Processed via: LR Classic CC & PSCC2018

Dorian Anderson
04-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Sharpness looks great for the 2x! Exposure is spot on as well. Would be nice to see the other bird's eye, but the interaction and behavior is still really good.

John Mack
04-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Agree with you on the left bird. The detail on both birds is very nice. Processing is spot on like always. You must have been quite close to go to f16.

Steve Kaluski
04-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys. :wave:

The detail on both birds is very nice

Shot around midday, so definitely not the best time John, but getting the histogram right, setting your camera body up correctly and understanding LR does help, but understanding LR hidden issues is also a big plus, as it has a lot that it does that is not evident :w3.

You must have been quite close to go to f16.

I think it was around 30m (100ft), remember it is with the 2x and on reflection there might be a bit of wasted DoF. Next time I will take the tripod and a new 'awesome' ball head which hopefully I will get to test this week :S3:.

arash_hazeghi
04-30-2018, 12:38 AM
love the interaction Steve, I would have asked them politely to do it parallel to the back of my camera though :bg3:

that nest looks soft and plush from here

TFS

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2018, 02:00 AM
I would have asked them politely to do it parallel to the back of my camera though

Definitely Arash, so would I, however the nesting/courtship location is on a cliff where it's fenced off making access/photo angles difficult at times. If I get a chance this year will shoot a few frames wider so you can see. :S3: Further on where the fence had rotted away occasionally you could get to better vantage points albeit not advisable, however everything is fenced off now.

Thanks for commenting.

Jonathan Ashton
04-30-2018, 03:41 AM
Lovely shot Steve apart form the reservation you noted I have none. the fences are all in good repair and there are lots of warning signs about climbing them!!

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2018, 04:35 AM
Cheers Jon, yes there used to be a good spot if you had the nerve to get to about 'a click' from the second viewing platform. May be if timing work I will see you there, perhaps you can teach 'an old dog' some new tricks, but also look out for Alex B is coming across the pond too.