PDA

View Full Version : Trumpeter Swan

Steve Maxson
06-24-2008, 05:43 PM
This image of an incubating Trumpeter Swan was taken just over a week ago. Trumpeter Swans used to be completely extirpated from the upper midwest. About 30 years ago, reintroduction programs were started in Minnesota and later other states by state conservation agencies. After a slow start, these birds are now thriving on their own and populations are rapidly expanding. This bird chose to nest in an open wetland not more than 20 meters from a busy highway. Fortunately for me, there was a right turn lane on the opposite side of the road where I could safely park for a few minutes. This image was taken out the car window using a BLUBB. The swan was so stressed by the constant traffic and my presence that it spent almost the entire time sleeping - occasionally raising its head for a few seconds to look around. :) The eggs hatched 2 days after this photo was taken. 40D, 500 f/4, 1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 200. Full frame. Comments are welcome.

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Wonderful environmental image Steve and so glad to hear that the trumpeter swans are making a comeback. Well composed image and good exposure. Sure hope you will have the opportunity to share some baby images with us.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I like the composition, setting and thanks for sharing the story. I'm glad the species has recovered (I still have to see one). I hope you will be able to photograph the little ones, too.

Arthur Morris
06-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey Steve, You took advantage of a dream situation to create a wonderful image. I especially like the tall wispy green grasses just in front of the bird and the nest. The thicker reeds in the l-lh-c I could do without. All in all, fabulous.

Maxis Gamez
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Simple yet powerful. Very well composed and with nice details.