PDA

View Full Version : Puffin Portrait...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Everyone!
Another one from my recent visit to Skomer Island - I'm going again on Friday...YIPEEE!!!!! (Just hope it doesn't rain....) As usual I'm trying to move away from the conventional idea of a bird portrait - let me know what you think! By the way, the thing in the bottom right hand corner is a cloud!!
40D 100-400@
F8 1/1250 sec
ISO 400
Thanks as always, regards to all
Nicki

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-24-2008, 04:53 PM
By the way, can someone out there please tell me how to selectively sharpen something in PS elements 6...I can't seem to make it work with the sharpening tool :o:o:confused:.
Thanks guys!!

Harold Davis
06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
that's one dense cloud!!!! i love the compo here. i think it works well. i do see some noise in the blue bg. and the bird looks plenty sharp to me......borderline too sharp!!

Gail Spitler
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Nicki
The composition of this portrait and its sharpness make this one the standout for me of all the puffin portraits you've posted. I am surprised by how gray the whole face looks??? I don't think the yellow at the lower right really helps the image.

Did you try the Sharpen Tool? To get to it, go to the Blur tool or press R, and choose the Sharpen tool from the pop-up menu. BTW, I got this from Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac by Barbara Brundage; it seems pretty helpful so far. Haven't read it cover to cover yet.

Nonda Surratt
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I like it!!! heck I'd just like to actually see a Puffin! Do see some noise in th bg and agree with Gail on the yellow bit.

Ok is there anything like a sharpen tool or brush in CS2?

Lance Peters
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi Nicki Love puffins - hope to get the chance to photograph one - one day :) - Love the pose and the BG.

I agree with the above - looks over sharpened to me, which would also explain the noise in the BG.
I use Arties recommended sharpening settings most of the time...

TWO ROUNDS
PS USM

Find it works well- in the eductaional rescources forum you will find a article about it I believe.

:)

Gail Spitler
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Nicki, Lance et al
The book I mentioned above suggests using the Adjust Sharpness tool rather than Unsharp Mask. The author claims lots of folks find it more useful the USM. I haven't done enough work with either to know if there's merit in the suggestion.
Cheers
Gail

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys, thanks so much for your comments. Do you prefer this version? I cloned out the cloud and lightened the image a little in shadows/highlights. Let me know what you think!
Thanks as always ;)
Nicki

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Lance, how do you sharpen the eye in an image without doing the rest of the picture? Gail, I do tend to use the Adjust Sharpness tool, but don't know how to isolate a particular part of the image..
This is a really useful discussion for me - thanks guys!

Lance Peters
06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Nicki - use the selection tool to just select the eye - you just click and draw around it. Then go to filter sharpen USM and it will only affect the selection.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks Lance!!

Alfred Forns
06-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Nicki for sharpening only a part of the image try this procedure !!

Make a layer and sharpen the entire image to taste ...... then make layer mask and paint black the area you don't want to keep. Will end up with only the face sharpened.

Here is the link for the tutorial Nicki it should work the same in Elements !!! http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6334

Oscar Zangroniz
06-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Great image Nicki, love those colors. Beautiful repost

Gus Cobos
06-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I love it Nicki,
The colors are fantastic, and the blue sky makes your bird pop...:eek::D:cool:

Katie Rupp
06-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Nicki, I love your puffins and long to be able to photograph them. Good shooting this weekend.

carole wiley
06-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Nicki, I love the repost, it pops, not to mention the fact that it lightened the eyes nicely. I think the eyes were too dark in the original. Also agree that the cloud did not help the image. As for selective sharpen in elements 6....another way to do it, from Scott Kelby...is: creat a layer, change mode to luminosity, select the eye (or whatever) use USM, create another layer, gausien blurr, change the blur layer mode to color...very effective.