PDA

View Full Version : WT Sea Eagle

Steve Kaluski
04-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Shot early in the morning, just before 8.00am in Norway on a small, aluminium skiff out at sea.

Thanks to those who viewed or especially commented on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: White-tailed Sea Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) taking off with a catch
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/6.3 ISO2500
Original format: Landscape, almost FF on the height
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

John Whaley
04-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Great timing on the action and beautiful light. I like the lift off wing pose and feather detail. Thinking I could see a version with a bit less space on the right and a bit more on the left.

Steve Kaluski
04-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Thinking I could see a version with a bit less space on the right and a bit more on the left.

Agree John but sadly image content not there to record.

Gerald Kelberg
04-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Hi Steve,

I love these Sea Eagles - wonderful birds - in Flatanger, I presume.

Agree with John that more space on the left would be an advantage, but with the light and shadow under the wings this shot is really exciting!

Best wishes, Gerald

Stu Bowie
04-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Hi Steve, the first thing that strikes me in this, is the sweet light. Then we go to the sharp detail you have captured - love the feather detail on the wings. Well timed for the catch, and overall, well captured.

William Dickson
04-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Very nice Steve. Great oncoming flight pose and HA. Beautiful feather detail. I like the colour of the water and seeing land behind, gives good depth. Would love to have seen it posted bigger. Looks like a scene from the Isle of Mull :S3:

Well done.

Will

Steve Kaluski
04-04-2018, 02:07 PM
I love these Sea Eagles - wonderful birds - in Flatanger, I presume.

Well one of the fjords around there Gerald, so you know how 'choppy' the water can get and how hard it is to shoot from a small, rolling, boat. :bg3:

Hi Steve, the first thing that strikes me in this, is the sweet light.

Cheers Stu, but the days were mixed, from sweet light, to dull, wet days, just got lucky here. :w3

Looks like a scene from the Isle of Mull

A bit more open Will. :bg3:

Joseph Przybyla
04-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Hi Steve, nice catch... you and the bird. Dynamic action image, nice light, feather detail and color. Thank you for sharing.

Alex Becker
04-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Nice detail pose and the action with the splash is great. I like having the greenery as the top 3rd of the frame, it adds something you don't normally get with these eagle shots. The blurring on the wing tips is cool too. I'm even more impressed with this frame after I've now shot off a boat in choppy water -- hard to keep the bird in the frame as well as not get sea sick. TFS

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2018, 02:03 AM
Cheers Joe.

I'm even more impressed with this frame after I've now shot off a boat in choppy water -- hard to keep the bird in the frame as well as not get sea sick.

Hi Alex, the trip was more to push myself and doing BIF, but also having the 'craic' with a couple of good friends too. Fairly intense times and HH the 200-400 for these periods kept you fit. Keeping focus, land level, yes was challenging from the small skiff, but you then appreciated things when you shot 'on land'. :bg3: