PDA

View Full Version : Theme Splash

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Hi folks ...hohoho
I found my way back to here ..LOL.
Been busy with other things ..sorry for my absence .Missed it to be honest.
Coming back with a wet image contributing to this month theme , difficult to find one from last trip to Helgoland . As most of the stuff was going on, on the beaches during the pupping/mating season in dec last year .
But here you go ....
Grey seal bull emerging from the sea , following the female he had fun with in the surf .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
EF 500 IS L II
HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp ; auto iso

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2018 ; slight crop from bottom and top

Hope you like it and thanks for the last comments to my latest posting

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2018, 06:16 AM
Hi Andreas, like the POV and framing, splashing water as the seal comes onto the beach. Would have preferred say 1/2500 just to freeze the head. Perhaps a sliver more on the LHS? Colour looks almost monochromatic, but I like the bit of colour coming through.

TFS
Steve

Glenn Pure
04-03-2018, 06:40 AM
Lovely detail and processing (as usual) on this, Andreas. I like the reflections on the rear of the seal too and the action conveyed by the splashing water. The only things I would revisit if mine is the crop which is a bit tight for my taste and the white balance which seems like an odd greenish blue to me but maybe that's how it looked? Oh, and welcome back! Look forward to seeing more work from you along with your thoughtful and useful comments.

Jonathan Ashton
04-03-2018, 07:18 AM
The image looks well focused and detailed to me. I have gone back to the image three times and I too keep wondering if there is a blue/green cast. I get the impression the Colour Temperature is a tad low.

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Hi Andreas - Welcome back. Good to have you posting again. Lovely low pov and the splash adds a lot to the image. I too would like a sliver more room around, especially on the left. Yes, the image is cool with a lot of blue and green coming through but that may be indicative of the time and conditions. Interesting to see the open mouth too.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2018, 07:34 AM
I think it looks well balanced and reflective, if you take a mid grey point then all three channels are very evenly balanced, unless 0.5% makes that much of a difference? For me it has a lovely hint of Winter sun coming through, a slight warmth in the water.

Guys could it be a calibration issue?

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Not on my end, I just recalibrated a few days ago. Yes, there's some warmer light coming in particularly towards the rear of the seal and in the bg but there is a cooler look and blue/cyan tint to the white froth and to the seal's head. I don't think it is an overall tint to the image but more in parts of the image which is why I thought it might be indicative of the actual conditions.

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2018, 07:48 AM
there's some warmer light coming in particularly towards the rear of the seal and in the bg but there is a cooler look and blue/cyan tint to the white froth and to the seal's head

So it could be 'reflective' colour perhaps?

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Steve - indicative and reflective mean the same thing in this context so yes, I said that in each of my comments.

keith mitchell
04-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Welcome back Andreas,tec bits well covered above, was it a dull day?great the way you have captured this with the splashing water and managed to keep the head clear,lovely shot.

Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Hi folks thanks big bunch to all of you who watched and commented to this one ...much appreciated .

To those who want to see more room around , well as said in the intro i cropped slightly from bottom and top . So no more room on LHS and RHS , and i am ok with the spacing on top and bottom .

The color issues ...you are seeing , are reflecting the realistic scene , well from my POV . Grey sky with a hint of sun as one can see in the seals refection . The pebbles are having a blueish color when looked at them with the naked eye ....
So i do not see any issues , but as colors are subjective , i could have gone for a warmer WB , but decided to keep it cool .
A faster SS would have been better , Steve :w3 , for that action .

Hope this helps .

Thanks again , Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Andreas, welcome back! A good image to start off again and perfect for the theme. I like the splash and the low shooting angle.

Andreas Liedmann
04-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Thanks Sanjeev ..much appreciated .
Cheers Andreas