PDA

View Full Version : Red Crossbill.

Daniel Cadieux
04-02-2018, 04:45 PM
From a day trip to Algonquin Park a couple weeks ago. My target birds were both species of crossbills as they were numerous there this winter. This lone male was feeding on snow at the side of the highway. With a wide shoulder at that particular spot I was able to do a u-turn, park safely on the side, and belly-crawl towards this individual. It was totally un-interested in me and allowed me to eventually crawl close enough for tight portraits.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/8, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, FF, eye work, a few dark specs removed from the snow.

William Dickson
04-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Wow, the reds sure do 'pop' with that lovely snowy BG and FG. Exposure looks spot on. Great POV and DOF. Nice crop. Very well done Dan.. I would love to get this close to a Scottish Crossbill.

Will

John Mack
04-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Very nice. Love the snow and the color of the bird. Well done.

Krishna Prasad kotti
04-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Nice Image. I love the High Key look with the colors of the bird.

Nothing to change from me.

Thanks for sharing.

Isaac Grant
04-02-2018, 08:04 PM
This is so nice Daniel. I'm super envious of this one. You know how much I have been wanting these boreal birds. Bird looks really good against the white snow. I do think that lowering the mid tones a couple points in levels would really make him stand out even more.

nickolas thurston
04-02-2018, 11:19 PM
awesome shot, it is awesome you were able to get so close it really comes through in the photo!

Dorian Anderson
04-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Great detail and and color! High key effect works very well. Can you move him up in the frame a bit? This shot was well worth the effort.

Stu Bowie
04-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Hi Dan, you field craft has given us a great low perspective, and I really like the colour of this species. Excellent detail throughout, sharp, and the Crossbill pops nicely against the snow BG. Well captured.