PDA

View Full Version : Norris Geyser Basin, Yellowstone NP

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Another of the drum scans...........I agree with Robert that Ektachrome film...........versions B4 E100VS.......were always a bit on the blue side. That's what I liked about it at the time! The sun came out for just a few minutes when my wife and I were hiking............Yellowstone is sure a great place when it gets angry! All the years I have gone back since.... I have never been able to quite capture this kind of drama.
I go back every year on one of my tours in hopes of re-creating it.........this time in digital!
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Harold Davis
06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
awesome mood captured here, roman!! good luck on capturing in digital. will be fun trying!!

Robert Amoruso
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
This is very cool Roman. I promise that I am not going to repost color correction for all your scanned Ektachromes but since I have a bunch and will probably scan them sometime in the future, I was curious.

In this repost, I did a color correction and removed the cyan cast and I feel it really makes the image sing. The colors int he ground and steam are now must more natural. I hope you like.

Added: It is funny that when I look at the repost, it is not showing the difference that I see in the layered file when I turn off the levels correction. I will send you that file to see.

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Robert,
Replying from my desktop as it has a better monitor. You definitely nailed the water as it looks more like the slide.........now the steam clouds look a bit more white/less color cast in my original. do you think it's the second jpeg compression???
PS Went back to the laptop.........actually less of a cast in the clouds than on my desktop:confused:?

Robert Amoruso
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Roman,

I sent the file for you too look at.

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey Robert,
Thanks for the file & fix. By toggling the layer I was also able to see some of the warmer tones pop on the water/pool. Definitely looks more like the original slide than my version. I will try this on the next Ektachrome and let you know how it goes. Better yet, I'll re-work this one later and see if I can get the same results you did!
Thanks again!

Paul Marcellini
06-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Hmm, Robert's looks bluer in the smoke to me. My monitor is calibrated so not sure what's going on. The ground looks better and overall, a bit more punch. Comp wise, I like it but wish for a little bit better view of that sky. Still, the drama comes through nicely.