PDA

View Full Version : Theme Another Stiated Thornbill

Glenn Pure
03-31-2018, 05:27 AM
A last minute entry for the monthly theme. I have taken some creative licence to generate this shot by washing out the background in post and thereby creating the high key look (I may post the unmodified version if there is interest). I got this while out for a walk earlier today, I came across of flock of these feeding in some low trees. I wasn't going to get a clean background but I quite liked the foliage and branches and overall setting. Hope you do too. Crop is maybe two thirds of the frame area.

As always, thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/400 sec, f7.1, ISO 1600. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur) after final size reduction.

John Mack
03-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Great detail on the bird again. Nice and sharp. The upper part of the background is pretty distracting with all the branches. But you address that in the description.

Alex Becker
04-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Nice detail on the bird and well processed. The feathers on the face are lovely. Love the look from the bird. The BG is a bit busy, but with these type of birds thats what you get so not a big deal to me. TFS