PDA

View Full Version : Theme Short Eared Owl

Jerrold Matthews
03-27-2018, 09:12 PM
This is my first post here. Today I came across this Short Eared Owl near the Kasilof River. D810- 300mm f2.8 vr with 2x Converter 1/2000 f11 ISO 400 Cropped and adjustments in ACR
Thanks for looking
Jerry

Bill Dix
03-28-2018, 07:54 AM
Welcome to BPN, Jerry. Nicely exposed high-key shot. Good look at the eye, although I suppose two eyes might have been better. My problem with these guys is that I can never get them to come close to me. It looks as if you had the same issue.

Jerrold Matthews
03-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. The only time it got close yesterday I and the camera lost focus as it flew near.
Jerry

Dorian Anderson
03-28-2018, 09:14 AM
The contrast in this frame is great but I wish for a closer view of the bird and better eye contact.
I have the same problem that I've never gotten close to one of these. I always seem them
way out in the marsh. Also, any reason you were shooting at f/11? That's two stops slower
than you could achieve with a 2.8 and 2x?

Jerrold Matthews
03-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Dorian,
I was set up to shoot Rock Sandpipers in flight, so I was in shutter priority mode. Probably should have used auto ISO and manual but I didn't. After not finding any Rock Sandpipers I was headed back to the truck and found this owl hunting near where I was parked.
Jerry

Dorian Anderson
03-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Got it. If I were shooting in-flight Rock Sandpipers, I would just leave the lens wide open (in either manual or AV) to get the a fastest shutter possible. You can never have enough speed when shooting
fast flying shorebirds!

John Mack
03-28-2018, 05:52 PM
The look away pose is nice. The high key look works nicely here. That eye really pops.

Daniel Cadieux
03-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Hi Jerrold, I can't offer more than the advice / suggestions you already got (which I agree with), but wishing you a warm welcome to BPN. Oh, before I forget, with the subject relatively small in the frame it would be better to compose the frame with it a bit closer to the lower left corner IMO. Looking forward to more from you!