PDA

View Full Version : Lanner Falcon Portrait

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-25-2018, 08:42 AM
A few branches removed on the right to create 'clearer' surroundings. Cropped for composition. Taken in the Kgalagadi, S.A.

Nikon D600 + Tamron 150-600 G2 @ 600mm.
f/7.1 | 1/800s | 1000 ISO | Beanbag in car window.

John Mack
03-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Pretty nice. The perch is a little cluttered but the pose on the bird is nice.

Isaac Grant
03-25-2018, 09:04 PM
Nice stare and a super cool bird. Something is off on the processing of this image. Looks like the bird has too much noise reduction applied and the feathers seem too smooth. The side lighting didn't help you either. I would clone out the out of focus branch directly below the bird.

Dorian Anderson
03-25-2018, 11:40 PM
The pose is great but the crop is wonky. Curious what it would look like in portrait crop, but I suspect the bottom of the frame
would get really busy with more of the perch. The OOF branch directly behind him is tough.

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-26-2018, 01:26 AM
The pose is great but the crop is wonky. Curious what it would look like in portrait crop, but I suspect the bottom of the frame
would get really busy with more of the perch. The OOF branch directly behind him is tough.

Thanks for commenting Dorian! I must admit I was in a few minds about the crop but just for fun: here's a portrait crop after a bit of clean-up work to make it work.

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-26-2018, 01:29 AM
Nice stare and a super cool bird. Something is off on the processing of this image. Looks like the bird has too much noise reduction applied and the feathers seem too smooth. The side lighting didn't help you either. I would clone out the out of focus branch directly below the bird.

Thanks for commenting Isaac! There was no noise reduction applied on the bird. I've sharpened some of the upper wing feathers & removed the out of focus branch in the repost.