PDA

View Full Version : Double-barred Finch

Glenn Pure
03-24-2018, 08:54 PM
It's rare to see this species in the open. This one was having a preen and spent a minute or two on this perch some distance in front of some trees in shadow. So I grabbed a chance to get a fairly 'clean' shot. I was in the open as I approached so couldn't get too close and therefore went for this smaller-in-the-frame shot. Crop is probably a bit over half the frame area. Taken in Oxley Creek Reserve in Brisbane.

As always, thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/1600 sec, f6.3, ISO 1600. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur) after final size reduction.

John Mack
03-25-2018, 06:18 PM
woah such a neat looking bird here. Like the diagonal perch and how the bird is framed between the two leaves. The pose and detail look good as well.

Isaac Grant
03-25-2018, 09:08 PM
I really like the perch with the thorns and how the bird is in a perfect spot. That dark background makes the bird and perch stand out very well. I am not sure if it is because the bird is small in the frame but it looks a touch soft.

Dorian Anderson
03-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Perch really makes this shot Glenn. Might crop a bit more off the right and top and that quarter feels a bit empty.

William Dickson
03-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Nice frame. The thin perch, with leaves, and a BG to match, shows the bird real good. Lovely pose and HA. On my monitor, I think the bird needs sharpening, as Issac pointed out. But, maybe its because Isaac and I, have the same monitors.

Good work Glenn

Will

Glenn Pure
03-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Thank you John, Isaac, Dorian and Will. Here is a repost with a slightly tighter crop and a bit more sharpening on the bird. There wasn't much detail on the underbelly and it's now starting to get close to 'crunchy' on the face but hope this is a little better.