PDA

View Full Version : Waterbuck

Jonathan Ashton
03-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Taken from car window Kruger Park Canon 5D III Canon 100-400 LIS II @164mm ISO 3200 1/800 sec f8 dull day just beginning torain.
ACR + PSCC I would normally have used a faster shutter speed for images such as this (or indeed considerably lower), there was a group of them, the male had just been exhibiting flehmen, I have the shot but it is a bit busy. Back to the point a female suddenly ran off and he went chasing after her.
I thought the head was reasonably sharp and I liked the hint of movement in the forelegs along with the flying mud. There was as you would guess no chance of a better angle.

John Mack
03-23-2018, 10:12 AM
You were close to this guy. I to like the slight movement in the front legs. Looks good for ISO 3200. Is there enough room below? I forget how that works.

Steve Kaluski
03-23-2018, 10:54 AM
Hi Jon, I like the concept & framing, but it looks 'dirty' in it's presentation???. The grasses near the front appear pin sharp, but the buck may carry some movement at 1/800. I think in cleaning the file/processing the image will have more presence and impact. If you had got the 5D MKIV ooh what a combo you would have had. :w3

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-23-2018, 11:07 AM
I agree regards 1/800 sec but don't understand what you mean - do you mean noisy or that you don't like the mud??
The 5D III was a great buy but I could not afford IV at the time, I will probably get one in the next month or two - no point crying over spilt milk, I will go back again with renewed opportunities. It's only a shot when all said and done - plenty of time for plenty more.

Steve Kaluski
03-23-2018, 12:21 PM
The 5D III was a great buy but I could not afford IV at the time, I will probably get one in the next month or two

Only jesting Jon :w3, but Canon are currently running a Cash back scheme now :Whoa!:.

Rachel Hollander
03-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Hi Jon - Interesting to see the terrain during the green season. I like the feeling of movement. The waterbuck looks a little dark and I agree with Steve about the sooty/dirty look. I think you exposed more for the water than the buck. I also find the bright greens drawing my eye. If it were mine I would raise the exp on the buck (if you can do so without introducing unacceptable noise) and darken the greens so they don't draw the eye as much. Did you take any panning shots?

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
03-23-2018, 11:46 PM
Hi Jonathan, I think the image appears to be open the dark side to me. The eye and head are not sharp. I'd try to do another round of sharpening. Loi

Glenn Pure
03-24-2018, 01:29 AM
Looks pretty good for 1/800 sec Jon. Agree the flying mud lifts this. I can't see an issue with sharpness on the buck but you have the RAW and will be in a better position to comment. I agree with the comments that overall the image is a bit inky and dirty looking. Worth a rework, I think.

PS, you sent me diving for the online search engine to work out what flehmen is.

Jonathan Ashton
03-24-2018, 06:37 AM
This was a real pain but I think maybe this is a little better. I worked hard to get an accurate colour balance, added saturation and a tad of vibrance.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Hi Jon, I like the overall scene and I think your RP addresses most of the issues raised by Steve and Rachel. The running pose and the composition is really nice.

Glenn Pure
03-24-2018, 05:25 PM
This was a real pain but I think maybe this is a little better. I worked hard to get an accurate colour balance, added saturation and a tad of vibrance.

This is considerably better to my eye but I personally wouldn't have added saturation except selectively to the animal.