PDA

View Full Version : Split Rock Lighthouse (full moon)

Mike Lentz
06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Taken last fall during the full Harvest Moon north of Duluth, MN on Lake Superior. I added a bit of Ellingson Island to the right side to help frame up the image. Thoughts?

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/87958174.jpg

Nikon D200 ~ Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/18-70_35-45g_edif_afs_dx)
F/8 ~ ISO 250 ~ 1/250 sec

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi Mike,
Overall I like it. Please add the specs for others to know how you got the moon with the light.........and so I know if my next comment would be possible.......could you have used a longer lens to have a vert composition with the moon and lighthouse only??? As presented I feel it was a very good idea to include a bit of the island on the right for framing purposes. Maybe a hair more room above the pine......but that is minor. Nicely seen and composed!

Mike Lentz
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Could you have used a longer lens to have a vert composition with the moon and lighthouse only???

Yes sir! and I did. :) Nikkor 70-210mm ISO 200 ~ F/8 ~ 1/8 sec ~ - 2/3 EV
This one has some CA problems that I'm sure came from using a subpar lens. Still need to pull it into ACR and re-work it.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/89308067.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey Mike,
Compositionally I really , really like this one. I hope you can get some detail in the moon like you have in the other one. If you do the re-work...........re-post the results here. Way to work a subject!

Mike Lentz
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Roman! I appreciate your kind feedback! I need that new Nikon wide prime lens!!

Harold Davis
06-24-2008, 04:28 PM
i like them both, mike!! great job. phenomenal moon!!

Robert Amoruso
06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice work Mike and I like the fact that you made multiple compositions of the subject. There is always more then one image that can be made. Agree with Roman that seeing a reworked version of the vertical with detail in the moon would be a treat.

Mike Lentz
06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Nice work Mike and I like the fact that you made multiple compositions of the subject. There is always more then one image that can be made. Agree with Roman that seeing a reworked version of the vertical with detail in the moon would be a treat.
I think most of us think alike when it comes to getting multiple looks of an image... you never know what you'll like until you see them all after the fact... besides when a moon is rising and the clock is ticking it keeps you moving and thinking fast and thats fun! :)

Robert Amoruso
06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Mike,

That's right about the moon as well as sun, etc. Got totally frustrated a few weeks back when I foolishy did not bring my long lens to the beach with my short lens. When I realized the sunrise was going to be a dud, I ran to the car to get my 600mm and TC's for a tight closeup of the sun as that was great coming through the clouds. It rose so fast I got nothing.

Tim Rucci
06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Really nice work, Mike, I like both of them, but I think I original composition is slightly more appealing.. to me at least.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Liked the 1st image a lot. It shows the expanse of the area & the rock with that tree adds a lot to the image. Excellent take Mike.

Grady Weed
07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
The first image by far Mike..............Very nice.