PDA

View Full Version : Up Close and...Near my Window

Gabriela Plesea
03-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Whether in close proximity or atop a red dune, the Kalahari lion is truly an awesome sight. I have always been under impression that they are larger than other lions, not sure this is true...Those vast open spaces, or habitat, make the species appear larger than life. Especially when a nice specimen such as this - black mane and all - approaches the vehicle or stares at me through the car window.

Here's a simple portrait for you. I think I do have better images of this lion but for some reason I decided to process this one tonight. DoF barely enough and HA not perfect but I quite liked the dignified look and alertness in his eyes. The subject was accompanied by another male who was following at some distance. His mate roared for a while but was ignored, eventually he too came around and gave my companion and I an opportunity to capture him in all his beauty.

Nikon D5
Nikon 500 F4
ISO 800
F6.3
1/2000s

Thank you so much for all your comments and critique on my previous images, much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
03-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Hi Gabriela - A simple but very effective portrait. Nice warm light and beautiful detail. A very regal pose with good dof and a pleasing bg. I do wish the bottom of the mane was included but a minor point. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Hi Gabriela, a simple yet effective portrait of this magnificent male. Nice HA, DOF and BG. The light is sweet and so is the pose. Liked it a lot. TFS.

haseeb badar
03-08-2018, 05:06 AM
Hi Gabriela -- I think i dont agree with your self critique reg the head angle and DOF. I just loved this image !

A magnificent Lion , lovely light and terrific details . All works for me here . A fantastic image !! Would love to see more images of this handsome beast .

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
03-08-2018, 10:32 AM
How does magnificent sound Gabriela? What a handsome lion! Love the colours and tones, good details in all areas.

Gabriela Plesea
03-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind comments, appreciated:S3:

Andrew Merwin
03-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Wow! This is special. Excellent detail, beautiful light, perfect BG & a wonderful 3D effect. I feel that I could reach out the window & touch this magnificent specimen. I only notice the bottom of the mane because of Rachel's comment. This is a riveting image. TFS. I hope to see more.

Glenn Pure
03-11-2018, 01:19 AM
Beautiful work, with the regal nature of this top predator captured and conveyed so well in this image. The colour palette is really lovely, the wispy background and the spot of light on the head adds a special touch. Nothing I'd change here. Wish it was mine.

John Mack
03-11-2018, 07:47 PM
What a handsome lion. Great frame.

Gabriela Plesea
03-12-2018, 03:13 AM
Thank you Andrew, Glenn and Jon for your kind comments, much appreciated:tinysmile_shy_t:

Have a great week ahead,