View Full Version : Red Grouse - A different POV

William Dickson
02-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4, 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/2500
ISO 1000

I managed to get the low POV on this one, whilst I was laying near the bottom of a hill, this bird was above me. I opened the RAW file with DPP this time.

Will

John Mack
02-25-2018, 04:28 PM
I like this. I wonder what the bird is looking at. Sounds like the bird was quite close you could have stopped down some more. You had the shutter speed to work with. Nice detail.

Jake Levin
02-25-2018, 06:14 PM
The colour and eye detail in the shot are phenomenal, as usual. I would agree with the shutter speed and aperture settings you used, since stopping down could have brought the background grass into sharper focus than would otherwise be desirable. The low perspective is certainly interesting but for me the angle we are seeing the bird at is a touch steep. A shame he didn't cock his head a little to the left. Still an intriguing capture though.

Isaac Grant
02-26-2018, 12:09 PM
I think this is great William. While it may not be the classic or desired head angle, for me it works really well. This is exactly the type of shot where an off angle works. The bird is clearly looking into the skies for something and that tells a story. What a wonderful experience it must have been to be so close to this beauty. I sure am glad you got this opportunity so all of us could share it with you.

Stu Bowie
02-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Hi Will, I like the inquisitive look, and with this close up, the eye really glistens in the light. Its always great to capture a different angle than the norm, and this works for me. Maybe just a tad off the bottom. You can do a mouse scroll to see what I mean. :w3

William Dickson
02-26-2018, 05:17 PM
thanks guys, much appreciated. Yes Stu, I see what you mean :S3:

Will