PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful Puffin

Ed Vatza
06-24-2008, 05:28 AM
I know the brightly colored bill is one of the big attractions of the Puffin but when I saw this Puffin looking so peaceful with its bill tucked in under its wing, I couldn't help but make a series of images even though the bill is mostly hidden. I'd like to use you as a sounding board on this one. What do you think of this image of the Peaceful Puffin? Is the "hidden" bill an issue/problem?

Machias Seal Island. Conditions foggy and overcast.

Canon Rebel XT; 400mm f/5.6L; Handheld

1/500 sec at f/8; ISO 400; +2/3 EV

Alfred Forns
06-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Not really Ed Do like the pose, different and it works. As presented would lighten the bird a bit more. Sure wish the rock to the left was not there, being as bright as it is does attract attention !!!

Arthur Morris
06-24-2008, 09:07 AM
The problem is with the image design not with the pose. You needed to point the lens to the right. This would have eliminated the rock on the left and placed the bird in an ideal position in the frame, near the left frame-edge (looking back in to the frame). Add some flash and get rid of the light highlights in the dark green background and you would have a winner.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I like the pose and details. Adding to the other comments, you could remove the bright spots in the BG and I agree that it could go a bit brighter.

Ed Vatza
06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Triple A (Al, Art and Axel),

Thanks for the critiques. I could definitely lighten things up a bit since I did darken the image in PP.

Artie, you've been there. This may be a dumb question but do you think flash would work at all out those port holes in the blind?

Arthur Morris
06-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Ed, It's been so long I had forgotten about those crummy blinds... There is a way that I think mikght work it with a flash bracket on the plate and the flash parralel to the lens pointing at the subject. (The flash is kept straight if you know what I mean...) Flash would be even more useful there on a dreaded sunny day. After you have been to Iceland and Scotland and Ireland you will not be thinking much about Machias...

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Ed and Artie,
I have the answer.......since I've been on the island every year for the last 10 years. I am going in a few weeks.....here's the thread; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=99241#post99241
the short answer is that you need to tape your flash down, with the off shoe cord, to the barrel of the lens hood (100-400mm) so that it is parallel to the plane and can read the ambient light. Works for me every time!
Am planning Iceland soon........until then Machias rules!