PDA

View Full Version : Theme Ring-billed Gull

Jack Backs
02-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Here in Missouri, if you want to take gull images, you have several choices...Ring-billed Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls, or Ring-billed Gulls.
This image was taken early one morning out of the window of my vehicle sitting on a lake dam where they were fishing.
Only cropped vertically from 4x6 to 16x9
Nikon D500/500mmF4VRII/TC-14EIII
1/1250s, f8, iso 1000

Steen Torner
02-23-2018, 11:10 AM
A very nice position of the gull with a fine background.

On my screen it has a strange and a huge blue color cast, so I think you have to adjust the WB.

Regards Steen

Randy Stout
02-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Jack:

Agree with Steen. Besides the nice pose and framing, the first thing that jumped out at me was the blue color cast. Lots of ways of dealing with. Just for giggles I did a selective color adjustment layer on the blues, and reduced most of the cyan and part of the magenta slider, and felt that looked more natural.

This had no impact on the bg, whereas adjusting the WB changed the background color as well.

Play around with it a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Lorant Voros
02-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Good image for the Theme. I like how the gull stands out of the brown BG. Agree with the blue color cast that is easy to follow the suggestions. TFS.

arash_hazeghi
02-23-2018, 08:40 PM
nice wing span and BG, I like the soft light. the strong blue and cyan cast mentioned already.

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
02-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Easiest way in tis case would be to go in Hue-Stauration and greatly reduce the blue and cyan channels. For the repost I reduced blues fully, and cyans by 65 points.

Jack Backs
02-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. That does look quite a bit better. I continue to struggle with white balance issues.
I truthfully didn't notice the blue cast when I posted the image but when corrected it does look better.
I'm going to attempt to be more diligent.