PDA

View Full Version : Cape vulture (Giant's Castle)

Geurt Bloem
06-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Another Cape vulture from my trip to Giant's Castle. Images are created from within a hide on the edge of a cliff. The subjects at this hide are baited with cut-up carcasses supplied by the Park's board.

It is a full frame image and I removed some specks (spittle) below and behind the subject. Full frame as presented and maybe required a tad more space in front. Background darker coloring is mountain area on other side of the valley.

Stats
Canon 1D MIII with 600 f4 plus 1.4TC
Av f8
Tv 1/1600
ISO 400

Thanks for looking.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Maybe as you say he needs a little more space to fly into but that is a stunning image. Just a hint of movement in the wing tips and the rest is super sharp. The colours and the background compliment ideally. I couldn't ask for more!
Jon

Maxis Gamez
06-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Very nice light on this one. Adding more canvas or cropping a little less will improve this image. I think you over sharpened this image a little.

Juan Aragonés
06-24-2008, 05:05 AM
I agree about the need for more space at the front but the image is terrific. excelent quality and action and a light to die for.

Vincent Grafhorst
06-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Excellent details and pose Geurt! With this BG you can easily add some canvas in front. I would love to go to Giant's Castle, the set-up there must be fantastic. We have a small colony of Cape Vultures here in South-east Botswana, but since this species is highly endangered the area is fenced off and nobody is allowed to get close.

Geurt Bloem
06-24-2008, 06:35 AM
..... I would love to go to Giant's Castle, the set-up there must be fantastic..... Just do it Vincent, it is well worth the effort to get there and do some serious imaging work for 2 or more days. We had Cape and Bearded vultures coming in frequently over a three day visit plus we had a black eagle pair and some jackal buzzards in between to entertain us.There are also various other lbj's etc. Remember to book well in advance and I think the the hide is already fully booked for this whole winter season this year.

Thanks for the other contributions. Maxiz, I agree a tad over sharpened on this publication (I think I used the print version which I down sized:o) I will have to add canvas as this is the full frame version.

David Hemmings
06-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Cool pose and great light and details, more room, yes, but a fine image!

Doug Brown
06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Very nicely done Geurt! Agree with the posts re oversharpening and adding canvas. Love the extended neck! Thanks for posting!

Arthur Morris
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Great image and BKGR and great self critique. Astounding sharpness. Love the feet and the outstretched neck. Wish that the wings were fully swept back.

Vincent Grafhorst
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info Geurt, I suppose booking is done through SANP?

Geurt Bloem
06-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Vincent, I send you a pm regarding Giant's booking. It is done through the KZN WIldlife unit (old KZN Park's Board)