PDA

View Full Version : White on White - low level trumpeter pass

Randy Stout
02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
This leucistic swan was imaged yesterday at the local bird sanctuary. This is a free ranging bird, with the light yellow feet and slightly colored bill that we see occ.

D500 Sigma 150-600 at 370mm. f/7.1 1/8000s

Post: Small crop for comp. Selective sharpening. I left the snow a bit cool/blue for the effect, but neutralized the bird.

I left the small drifts on the snow, thought it gave a bit more texture and depth.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

annmpacheco
02-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Hi Randy, I really like the white palette here and your idea of differentiating the whites works beautifully. Wponderful to see the swan flying above the ground so closely, snow gives another layer of interest. Very nice.

arash_hazeghi
02-20-2018, 02:15 AM
pretty cool Randy, like the white and snow. on my screen it has a pretty strong blue case, did something go wrong?

David Salem
02-20-2018, 02:41 AM
Great looking frame Randy! Love the white on white look to this. Details and exposure look good for this tricky looking shot. On my monitor there is a little blue cast but not to strong. Well done

gail bisson
02-20-2018, 04:36 AM
Love the wing position and the feet peeking through.
pretty neat to see a fly-by at such low level.
I am not liking the blue snow. I would get rid of the blue and get the snow white,
Gail

Jim Crosswell
02-20-2018, 11:01 AM
I like the wing position, shadow on snow and composition. I too would take a bit of blue out of the snow. Very well done Randy.

Randy Stout
02-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. The blue of the snow was a creative choice, not a processing error. But, I can certainly appreciate varying tastes, and listen to all input respectfully.

I will go back and tweak the blue!

Cheers

Randy

Isaac Grant
02-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Nice downstroke here Randy. I don't think we see enough images of these beautiful birds. I agree the whole image is too blue. Why do you think the bird is leucistic? I don't see any pigment lacking in this bird.

Mike Poole
02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Love the frame - not so keen on the blues! The shadow on the snow is a particularly nice touch, and of course the downstroke is a nice pose to have

Mike

Randy Stout
02-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Nice downstroke here Randy. I don't think we see enough images of these beautiful birds. I agree the whole image is too blue. Why do you think the bird is leucistic? I don't see any pigment lacking in this bird.

Isaac: Note the yellow feet poking out. I will post another image soon showing the yellow feet in more detail, but also the slight lighter pattern of the bill.

Randy