View Full Version : Here Comes the Sun

William Dickson
02-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/7.1
1/1250
ISO 1000

I am beginning to find ways to get closer to these birds. If I see a bird whilst driving, I keep on going and park up at the next passing place. Some birds fly off immediately, but, now and again, you get a curious bird. Keeping low, in amongst the heather, I was photographing this Red Grouse...... Towards me he came, bold as brass. I have a few frames with a more conventional HA, but, I kinda liked this one...

Will

John Whaley
02-17-2018, 07:16 PM
This one makes me laugh Will. Definitely unconventional but what an attitude. Tack focus and smooth clean background. I like it. tfs

annmpacheco
02-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Hi Will, do you look like a grouse by any chance? haha, I think its terrific and i'm fascinated by the red individual tubey things atop the red eyebrow, i wonder if they are flesh or individual feathers? I would like to see just the head as almost everything below becomes oof for such a close-up! Fun, and I think you've cracked their "security system!"

William Dickson
02-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Hi Will, do you look like a grouse by any chance? haha, I think its terrific and i'm fascinated by the red individual tubey things atop the red eyebrow, i wonder if they are flesh or individual feathers? I would like to see just the head as almost everything below becomes oof for such a close-up! Fun, and I think you've cracked their "security system!"

Thanks for that Ann. I was smiling there, when you asked if I looked like a grouse.. This one appears to be studying me ..:S3: The red tubes things are called Wattles.:S3: It isn't feather, looks like waxy plastic. The males have brighter ones, especially during the breeding season.

Will

Dorian Anderson
02-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Lovely, playful shot. I am a huge fan of expressive close-up headshots like this. Beautiful detail in the eyecombs.

Noel Heustis
02-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Will - you seem to have mastered the awesome bg, super detailed, close up shots of these guys. I love the prep you put into getting these shots. Thanks for sharing that story.