PDA

View Full Version : Theme Ring-billed Gull Chasing Another.

Daniel Cadieux
02-16-2018, 07:39 PM
These guys are always chasing each other around, especially those who've found a food item. This scene started as a lone gull rinsing a fish in the water, but here the first of many gulls showed up in hopes to steal the prize. I got caught by surprise here and clipped the wings left and top so I "creatively cropped" in a little closer for a more deliberate look to the cut wings. Maybe not for everyone, but fun to explore such ideas:S3:

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, cropped for comp.

annmpacheco
02-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Hi Dan, Fun shot and you covered your bases here with your compositional explanation... I like this, really shows the chase and i like the size of the fish, what ids that anyway?!

Randy Stout
02-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Daniel:

I think the crop works here, since all the attention is drawn to the fish and along the diagonal line connecting the two birds.

The limited palette with spit of sand on the right for balance works too.

Fun, and yes, always good to experiment with 'different' looks, bend/break those rules!

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
02-17-2018, 10:20 AM
The crop works for me here. Good view of the fish. Looks like this chase has just begun.

Daniel Cadieux
02-18-2018, 06:19 AM
Thanks guys! Ann, the fish is a Bluegill, a type of sunfish.