PDA

View Full Version : Great Crested Grebe

Alex Becker
02-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

Another shot from NZ. This was my first time seeing a Great Crested Grebe which was exciting, especially seeing both parents with their little one. It was overcast so not great light on the bird, but oh well. I also got some shots with both parents in DOF which I'll post later as well. About 30% crop, standard adjustments for me.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 200-500 f/5.6 at 500mm
Specs: 1/2000 ISO 2500 f/5.6

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

Allen Sparks
02-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Hi Alex,
What a cool image with the baby riding on back with an open beak - well seen and caught! Nice details and exposure. The open feel of the image with good space all around works for me too. Well done.
Allen

Randy Stout
02-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Alex:

I like the comp, the waves, open mouthed chick, good looking parent.

You certainly could lighten the birds a bit. I ran a modest screen blend mode on a selection of the birds, and it did help them pop, and show more detail. I do like it as posted however.

Matter of taste.

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
02-09-2018, 07:52 AM
The low angle is very nice here. The composition works well especially like the chick.

Noel Heustis
02-09-2018, 11:17 PM
Alex - I love that you caught a baby riding onboard! As the others have said the low angle and baby bonus subject make the image. Can't wait to see the others. Thanks for sharing

Alex Becker
02-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Thanks all -- much appreciated. I'll look at a lighter version of the bird -- I had the same thought, but this one felt a bit more 'as seen', but I'll probably play with it a bit more and go back and forth. Thanks again,