PDA

View Full Version : Theme Eland Herd

Rachel Hollander
02-07-2018, 06:32 PM
I posted an image from this sighting back when I first returned but decided to process another and post one at the new, larger size. A herd of Eland seen at Tswalu in August 2016. They didn't stick around for long when the vehicle came to a stop. Here they sized us up just before running off.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/500
f5.6
ISO 800 (I would probably shoot this at completely different settings today).
HH from safari vehicle, ff, TK luminosity masks, levels, curves, color adjustments in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Loi Nguyen
02-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Hi Rachel, looks pretty good to me. They all look in good focus. Are you thinking about F8 instead? As for the comp, I'm not a fan of cutting off the animals on the left hand side right thru their faces, but not sure if you have more room. Loi

haseeb badar
02-10-2018, 04:32 AM
Hi Rachel -- Really liked the habitat here with most of the Elands looking curiously. Tones and details look good here but 50-50 on the comp as the cutting of animals on the LHS is not working for me either. Not sure going wider would have helped here as it seems there was some vegetation in the FG as judging by the oof branch on the rhs.

TFS !

Basil Dardagan
02-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Cheez Rachel this is a truly wild image. Everything looks great to me except for the cut animals on the left however I am sure you had no other option. However even to see a wild herd of Eland like this is truly spectacular !

Stuart Philpott
02-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Rachel all you usual excellences,colour detail,I just adore the feet..These herds are incredibly difficult to find an image in,I really struggle it's the cut animals and no break to split the group into a frame,I think you have done as well as one could,point on techs noted, given the circumstances. I also yearn for you to be lower,but this angle deos show all the faces well,being lower might compremise this.

Cracking to view they are so big and those horns so special with that twist TFS

stu

Rachel Hollander
02-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree that cut animals are not optimal and my previous post from this sighting avoided that but had some scrubby bushes in the llc that I was trying to avoid here.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-14-2018, 04:30 AM
Nice image Rachel with lovely light and detail, I also like the dust being kicked up by the hooves. Shooting further away I feel would have been better and reduced the angle of looking down, highlighting shooting from a vehicle for me. Nothing you could do with cutting through the herd, but the OOF branch on the RHS is a slight distracting element.

TFS
Steve