PDA

View Full Version : "I'll start with the head..."

annmpacheco
02-01-2018, 04:03 PM
This female kestrel had just flown back with this large cricket, and although I would have loved more HA, this was the most I got and moving wasn't an option! PS levels and sharpening. Lightened the eye that was in shadow.

1Dx
840mm
ISO 640
f 6.3
1/3200

Bill Dix
02-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Terrific capture, Ann. Great detail, exposure, background. I can just imagine you sitting there willing him to turn his head just a tad. That would have put it over the top, but a fine image I'd love to have.

Jay Ing
02-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Like it - and the title... yeah, wish that head were 25 degrees out way... but nice nonetheless. Thanks.

Geoffrey Montagu
02-01-2018, 05:59 PM
What a fine capture, Ann. Not a good day for the cricket. Excellent detail and love the BG. Great you were able to get close to this Kestrel.

Geoffrey

http://https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Hey Ann this one isn't my favorite, love the prey and details but the shadow on the head spoils it and the lightening of the head/ eye has made it look unnatural, a kestrel's eye doesn't look like that. if you want to keep I wouldn't pull up the shadows so much

I am 100% sure you have frames with her head in the sun

TFS

annmpacheco
02-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Hey Ann this one isn't my favorite, love the prey and details but the shadow on the head spoils it and the lightening of the head/ eye has made it look unnatural, a kestrel's eye doesn't look like that. if you want to keep I wouldn't pull up the shadows so much

I am 100% sure you have frames with her head in the sun

TFS

Hello Arash, I didn't touch any shadows, only lightened the eye and i agree with you, it doesn't look natural, what head shadow/lightening are you referring to? this was untouched... thanks I liked the cricket and the head bite so that was more important to me than her head in the sun... Thank you

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2018, 07:22 PM
the head just looks a bit unnatural to my eye it has a color cast to it, maybe it's just the eye area

Randy Stout
02-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Ann:

Great action, love the grip of the near leg on the perch, and of course the open bill chomping on the cricket.

I do see a color cast as well, and tinkered with the color balance a bit. I actually ending increasing the blues just a bit to neutralize the color balance. Not perfect, but perhaps worth a revisit.

Cheers

Randy

annmpacheco
02-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Ann:

Great action, love the grip of the near leg on the perch, and of course the open bill chomping on the cricket.

I do see a color cast as well, and tinkered with the color balance a bit. I actually ending increasing the blues just a bit to neutralize the color balance. Not perfect, but perhaps worth a revisit.

Cheers

Randy
Thank you Randy, I like your repost, appreciate your tinkering with this, as I really like the behavior and the choice of biting "just the head" with his beak, kinda like eating the middle of an oreo! I also like that grip, that is holding her balance, and the scaled legs! I need to learn about color balance and adjustments...

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2018, 10:40 PM
The problem is the eye, American kestrel's eye doesn't look like that even under direct sunlight, you can barely see the pupil. In fact all falcons are like that, i.e. they don't have a visible pupil. below you can see three type of falcons common in this location, notice how the eye looks like.

American Kestrel

merlin (female)

peregrine

David Salem
02-02-2018, 12:49 AM
That was a fun evening chasing Lady Kestrel from branch to branch as she hunted for insects. Very cool that you caught her with the cricket before she hoped it's head off. happens very quick so good job getting on it.
As soon as I opened this I noticed the lightening of the eye. Definitely a bit unnatural but I can see that you wanted to see the eye better. On some subjects it might be ok, but in falcons they are usually pretty dark and the pupil is just barely noticeable as seen in Arash's photos..
The rest looks great and I like the comp you chose. I might go somewhere between your post and Randy's for the color temp.
Well done Ann

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-02-2018, 02:22 AM
I love the image Ann. It is of great natural history value for me. It does not always need to be perfect. I am sure the rate at which you are going, you will nail one with the HA perfect, the light perfect and everything else.
I will take this as is, thank you! :)
Well done.
TFS!!!

Jonathan Ashton
02-02-2018, 05:59 AM
Beautiful shot Anne, if you take the colour balance from a part on the tail around 50/50/50 with the white dropper I think the colours will look pretty close. You may wish considering a tiny bit of Selective Colour:- Blacks black Neutrals black, maybe 2 points each.

annmpacheco
02-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Thank you all, i appreciate your time and suggestions, I'll put them to good use!