PDA

View Full Version : Red-winged Blackbird

Geoffrey Montagu
02-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Captured this image in a local wildlife preserve on a WARM overcast day, late afternoon in mid June of last year. This male was keeping close watch as the female was constructing the nest low in the tall grasses. He put up quite a racket. C&C welcome.

D500, Nikon 500mm f/4G + 1.4 TC, 1/3200s, f 6.3, ISO 3200, Gitzo, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Mike Poole
02-01-2018, 03:36 PM
great pose and the flashes of red on the wings are beautiful. I saw one of these at Ft Desoto last year and they are surprisingly pretty in real life.

I might go with a little more sharpening on the head

Mike

annmpacheco
02-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Hi Geoffrey,
I like the behavior you captured but not a fan of the nibbled perch. Also, the RWBB is looking flat and lacking detail, epaulets seem washed out... Not an easy exposure with the sun not cooperating, TFS!

Geoffrey Montagu
02-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Hi Geoffrey,
I like the behavior you captured but not a fan of the nibbled perch. Also, the RWBB is looking flat and lacking detail, epaulets seem washed out... Not an easy exposure with the sun not cooperating, TFS!

Thanks Ann. I went back to an image I had previously posted of this very bird, and you are correct. Reworked adding some NIK Detail Extractor, S/H, Selective color on the epaulets. The light had darkened a bit from previous post. WDYT?

Geoffrey

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-02-2018, 02:18 AM
Not sure, I am happy to stand corrected, but it seems, that focus was more on the leaves in the LLC than the bird. Maybe it was just on the edge of the DOF and it is a bit large a crop too hence the lacking detail.
Love the pose and your exposure does look pretty good! :)
TFS