PDA

View Full Version : Pan blur mallard in snow flurry

Randy Stout
01-30-2018, 07:47 PM
I had a few minutes late this afternoon, and noted a light snow flurry developing. Some of my favorite winter shots are under those conditions, so zipped over to the local bird sanctuary. It was very dim however, and I elected to try some panning shot with low shutter speed.

D500 Sigma 150-600 Sport 420mm, f/6.3, 1/320s, ISO 1250. Hand held.

Post: Small crop inf. for comp. Selective sharpening on bird.

The image isn't of the highest tech. quality, but I really liked the snow flake blurs, and the subdued palette, captured the moment for me. Appreciate folks honest opinion about whether this works, or not.

Cheers

Randy

Allen Sparks
01-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Hi Randy,
This works for me. I especially like the snow against the muted BG. The upward angle of the mallard is nice too.
Allen

annmpacheco
01-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Randy, this doesn't look like a loon at all! I like the snow but am a bit distracted by the larger "snowballs!" I like the snowflakes on the tip of the bill!

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-31-2018, 05:59 AM
Have you checked your temperature Randy? Is there a fever of some sorts running in your town?
Where is the loon? :D

I like it, very much. Have you tried it with a bit more contrast?

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
01-31-2018, 11:13 AM
Works for me Randy, it is almost spot on I suppose ideally the head and bill would be pin sharp, they are not quite but so close! The rest of the image is excellent, I really like the processing.